[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Meditations by Marcus Aurelius

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 30659.jpg (95KB, 309x475px) Image search: [Google]
30659.jpg
95KB, 309x475px
best translation?
>>
William Henry Denham Rouse
>>
>>9235046
Gregory Hays
>>
>>9235046
Francis Hutcheson and James Moor.
>>
>>9235069
>>9235091
>>9235106

At least we have a consensus, or any explanation as to why they're good.
>>
>>9235135

I have only read the Hays and I enjoyed it. It is written simply and carries the passages meaning clearly. No superfluous language.
>>
>>9235135

WHDR is the taught translation.
>>
>>9235046
Penguin Classics.
>>
Hays.

Don't expect it to change your life. Marcus was kind of a twat, that's why he had to write all these little reminders to himself.
>>
I've read this book three times from cover to cover over the course of last week. There is a lot to grasp, but only if you see through what's he talking about. There is nothing like it, although its found in traces all over the Western philosophy. Schopenhauer's Representation of Will was for me equally important book, certainly one of human masterpieces.
>>
>>9236196
leave plebs noise at the plebs level, noise like this, OP
>>
>>9236196
You shouldn't go into anything with such expectations to be fair and this book is too well memed on this board as it is, its quite a miracle that I resisted the urge to look too much into it or was closed to its message. Also its too often recommended considering the vast amount of other literature, I suspect its because of its aesthetics and the fact that it was written by the emperor.
>>
>>9235046
Robin Hard IMO
>>
>>9236459
Did it get easier to read and comprehend?
>>
>>9235046
Penguin, they're all the same
>>
>>9236459
Just skimmed through it.

Meh. A big bunch of platitudes. Ruminations of a man so far in his own head he had to write shit down to exorcize the demon of thought.
>>
>>9236478
I don't have an appropriate reaction pic for that amount of insecure overthinking, pointless rationalizing and mental deficiency. Kill yourself.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.