[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What happened to Slothrop?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: DistantSparklingBoar.webm (952KB, 356x356px) Image search: [Google]
DistantSparklingBoar.webm
952KB, 356x356px
At what point did Slothrop get figuratively blown up; "scattered across the Zone"? I take this to be a metaphor for rocket blasts demolishing structures and sending great chunks scattering into rubble, the same way Slothrop is apparently scattered across the Zone. The last I remember of him is the poor, lost guy meandering into the wilderness after finding his mouth harp again in the river stream. The final time we see him is when Pig Bodine runs into him by chance in, what was it, either Der Platz or The San Diego. And even then, Slothrop seems barely present. Strange stuff. I admittedly don't get it.

Another confusion is that Enzian's 00001 was being transported by convoy to, theoretically, be fired. Yet we never see that happen. Instead we see Gottfried climbing into the 00000, and then Captain Blicero firing that rocket into... where?

As a matter of fact, are there any good articles or other sources to explore the different ways of interpreting Gravity's Rainbow?
>>
Not OP but I wish someone would respond, need more actual discussion about GR and Pynchon instead of the usual memes
>>
>>9235018

No one here's actually read GR, Anon. Discussion is impossible.
>>
This might help

https://www.ottosell.de/pynchon/rainbow.htm
>>
File: 1488230488184.jpg (292KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1488230488184.jpg
292KB, 2560x1440px
>falling for the meme
>>
God this book was so much fun. So much mystery. It's high time I reread this masterpiece and try to piece everything together.
>>
>>9234439
It's been a while since I've read it, so take my opinions with a grain of salt. I think the ending section of the book is something that's pretty much really open to interpretation due to how esoteric it is, but then again, a lot of the book is.

Slothrop seemed to be on a mental decline ever since the final scenes of part 3, and I think his disassociation is a culmination of his breakdown. A major theme that I saw repeated throughout the book, and was especially hammered home in part 4, was the idea of people trying to break free from a system but being unable to do anything meaningful (Mexico's arc, Byron the Bulb), and Slothrop breaking down could be seen as the tragic end result to his quest.

I don't remember much about the 00001, but I felt the entire point of the 00000 was that it didn't matter where it was being fired towards, it was built and fired solely so that Blicero could get off to it. It really suits the book that the central mysterious plot device that the characters are searching for just leads to a Nazi's sadistic death ritual.
>>
>>9234439
it was all a dream
>>
>>9235443
Thanks anon.
>>
>>9234439
It's been a little bit since I've read it but let me try to remember the best I can to try to answer your questions:

from what I gathered there were really two functions to the rocket (or two rockets). Before even going to work on the rockets, the engineer who's friends with the guy who liked radios from V (who's working on space travel shit before he gets contracted) has a few little mentions of going to space/the moon. This is a sense is "breaking" the conventional narrative arch/parabolic pathway of the rocket.
>>
>>9236332
from the top of my head, I remember when that same engineer goes to that horrible disneyland with his daughter and she mentions wanting to go to the moon for whatever reason but later drops this wish as she ages/maybe is replaced by a sexy lookalike
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.