[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Visualising and imagining

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: ships.jpg (75KB, 845x417px) Image search: [Google]
ships.jpg
75KB, 845x417px
When reading a novel, how vivid are the pictures you conjure in your mind's eye?

My imagination has become kinda stagnated after years of not reading, a few months ago i picked up a novel for the first time in a long time and found it difficult to vividly imagine anything, even though I'm used to daydreaming often. Especially the faces of the characters, at best it was all like a half-remembered dream. Now after getting through a few books I'm slowly regaining some of that ability, the characters i imagine have gone from B movie caricatures of how they were intended or real actors my mind keeps forcing to cast to actually in some cases impressive visions. I'm still sometimes having issues with picturing places, they tend to keep kind of a disheveled and patched together appearance of a not very vivid dream. Overall I'd say i have a decent visualizing ability, though it's not as concise and consistent as I'd like it to be.
>>
Almost nonexistant. My visualization is usually abstract bullshit and if I don't know what a thing looks like already I won't even bother. Just read the words and move on.
>>
>>9234424
basically like watching a movie but I'm probably more a(r/u)tistic than most people
>>
File: picasso woman and the dragon.jpg (171KB, 640x544px) Image search: [Google]
picasso woman and the dragon.jpg
171KB, 640x544px
>>9234433
this and nice dubs. when i read i hear voices, and only see images when the author becomes more intensely descriptive.

on a more autistic note. i loved harry potter as a kid to the point where i would concentrate on creating distinct moving images in my head to further immerse myself in the wizarding world. i did it with pokemon too. so i suppose one could practice doing such a thing. i hear Nikolai Tesla did something similiar.
>>
>>9234424
Don't bother imagining things vividly. Just understand the words, but fly over them (and I dont mean: read fast) and get the meaning that they contain. Dont force yourself to imagine. Youre not watching TV.
>>
>>9234424

it depends on the prose, is this not the only answer
>>
>>9234424
For the odyssey I remember looking up paintings for visuals I was curious about. Really helped me to shape the imagery I had in my head for the rest of the poem and for future readings
>>
If I close my eyes and wait for hours maybe (MAYBE) I will see a few lights (like stars in a dark sky). That's it.

I can't bring myself to appreciate narrative, but when it comes to read manuals, philosophy and essays I'm a savant, I can just munch those informations all day long.

Sometimes before getting asleep I'll manage to actually see things. I will just lay there, keep thinking about something, and gradually my train of thought becomes gibberish (but I still know what that gibberish is about, somehow, abstractly, I still manage to retain a object) and I'll have closed eyes hallucinations about that subject. As soon as I realize that what I'm seeing is not real I will immediatly wake up, usually with a loud gasp. After 23 years of no imagination every sort of closed eyes visuals will just freak the shit out of me.
>>
File: tulpa wizard.jpg (66KB, 600x788px) Image search: [Google]
tulpa wizard.jpg
66KB, 600x788px
>>9236142
>Dont force yourself to imagine.
No need to force myself, it's half of the enjoyment i get from reading, the other half being appreciating the ideas of the prose.
I am only practicing to more efficiently unveil the torrents of emotional imagery and sensation which should naturally flow before my mind.
>>9236491
This is why autism is bad for you. Do you at least remember some dreams of your rem sleep anon?
>>
>>9234424

i'm really bad at visualizing environments and landscapes.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.