[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Prior Analytics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: prior analytics.png (11KB, 531x517px) Image search: [Google]
prior analytics.png
11KB, 531x517px
Can I skip it and move on to Posterior Analytics?

Judging by the first 7 chapters, it doesn’t seem like much insight can be gained by anyone who’s taken an introductory logic or set theory course. A lot of his discussion of the three figures seems like it can be reduced to venn diagrams. Pic related is “If A is predicated on B and B is predicated on C, then A is predicated on C.”

I read the Stanford Encyclopedia article on Aristotle’s logic, and there are some differences between modern logic and “Aristotelian logic”, but it seems like these (minor) differences would be more interesting to a historian of logic than someone who’s reading Aristotle for the first time. Is there any value to this other than innate historical interest? Will I run into any continuity gaps regarding Aristotle’s thought if I just move on to Posterior Analytics?
>>
>>9230311
Yes, you can skip it. Everything of great relevance to his other works in regards to his logic will be found in Posterior Analytics, Categories, and De Interpretatione.
>>
>>9230643
Thanks. Does the same apply to Topics and Sophistical Refutations?
>>
>>9230311
why would anyone read Aristotle's work on logic who wasn't an Aristotle scholar?
>>
>>9230769
Hm, I don't really know; perhaps you could tell me why I shouldn't?
I had/have two reasons.
1) The second reason is because the google doc about how to go through western philosophy says "Regarding the Organon, it is THE foundational text in Logic and should without a doubt be read."
2) The second reason was only discovered retroactively. The first reason is because I bought the big fucking Aristotle book in the start with the greeks chart without realizing that I paid a considerable sum of money for only volume 1, i.e. without realizing that there is a volume 2. The title "The Complete Works of Aristotle" is a bit misleading given how small the font for the subscript 'Volume 1' is on the thumbnail. In my opinion it should read something like "The Complete Works of Aristotle Except for the Ones You've Heard of".
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.