[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does /lit/ decide what to read?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 101924.jpg (51KB, 850x400px) Image search: [Google]
101924.jpg
51KB, 850x400px
How does /lit/ decide what to read?
>>
If I'm wet for a philosopher, I'll read books by authors around the same time period. If it's just fiction I'll pick at random a book form my backlog (which I put together between here, the sticky, and research).
>>
>>9227422
lol kierkegaard was so wrong in this
>>
>>9227500
How can you be good without peace? How can you do harm doing nothing?

>>9227422
If I have an author I like, I'll go on wikipedia and check out his influences. It's how I found K in the first place.
>>
Browse the internet and /lit/ in reading breaks, download/order a bunch of books relevant to what I'm interested in. Finish current book, pick whichever seems the most interesting of the new acquisitions.
>>
>>9227508
>Do harm doing nothing
Kierkegaard was Christian
You can sin by omision, not just by action
>>
>>9227422
I go into a library and pick a book at random
>>
>>9227534
>At random
U brave son
>>
>>9227422
Goodreads Recommendation engine (not reviews)
/lit/ recs
new releases from dalkney/NYRB/oneworld
oxfordbibliographies
recommendations from lectures
>>
>>9227534

I look at art from the most important works' covers and look for signs from the universe on what to read next.
>>
>>9227534
I used to this as a teenager but my library was a dumping ground for middle-aged women's romance trash so ever 3/5 books I picked up there was a shite
>>
>>9227508
>Philosopher states that he is doing nothing
>While breathing, eating, drinking, owning material wealth, occupying spacetime and energy; generally existing

Really makes you think.
>>
>>9227576
Woah

Deep
>>
I got a translation of The Brothers Karamazov made by Edmund Fuller
It says on the cover "In the authoritative modern abridgement by Edmund Fuller"
Any thoughts?
>>
>>9227605
abridgements are trash generally, unless purely for school work, ie Gibbons' decline and fall in a historiography course.
>>
>>9227671
trash in what way they are?
>>
Bibliographies of topics that capture my attention.
>>
>>9227422
I buy a batch of used books of many different kinds each month and read whatever I feel like at the moment.
>>
File: ngExKHr.jpg (1MB, 1820x4348px) Image search: [Google]
ngExKHr.jpg
1MB, 1820x4348px
>>9227422

I'm slowly working my way through this list and a list I made of my countries greatest literary works. Five books are on both lists.
>>
Generally I pick a good classic from my backlog and read from there.
If I am recommended books for my hobby, for theology, and for history, I order those and finish whatever book I have at the moment and read the ones I get in the mail ASAP.

in my backlog, fiction goes at the back of the bus to make way for classics, history, theology, war and memoirs that take up authority first. If I do pick up a fiction book in the middle of my current reading, it's generally regulated to a night-time reader or something I read when I don't want to read technical history or technical books.

Memoirs, theology and social criticisms I can read in generally 1-3 days and when I pick them up, I almost never put them down until they are finished without any distractions.

Technical History takes me anywhere from 2-6 weeks, depending on how busy I am with life and how often I sit my ass reading them

Modern fiction takes me around 2-3months to finish, as it holds low precedence in my pile.

Classics can be around 1-3 weeks of reading time, depending on circumstances.

As of right now, I've got 4 books in my to-read pile. If I just focus on two right now, I might finish one theology and one history book in a sitting (provided there's nothing for me to do around the house)
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.