[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Weird Fiction

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: fished.com.jpg (37KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
fished.com.jpg
37KB, 480x360px
Introduce me to the world of Weird Fiction /lit/. Who else would recommend besides Lovecraft?
>>
>>9226232
Oh man, Lovecraft isn't even that weird. Here's some recomendations.

Dogwalker by Arthur Bradford- short stories about dogs, and people fucking dogs, and dog-human hybrids, and people killing dogs.

Naked Lunch by William Burroughs: Lots of gay alien sex, alien drugs and alien drug dealers. Some murder and executions as well.

1000 Days of Sodom by de Sade- Snuff, Pedophilia, Scat, etc

Cities of the Red Night by William Burroughs: Ancient cities of sex and drugs, an anarchist pirate community where a guy invents the revolver. Also cowboys.

Cosmicomics by Italo Calvino: short stories about dinosaurs, evolving molluscs and anthropomorphized planets.
>>
File: IMG_6084.jpg (188KB, 938x1500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6084.jpg
188KB, 938x1500px
>>9226232
>>
>>9226250
>>9226253
It's worth mentioning Weird Fiction is a genre nit just literally fiction that is weird.

e.g., Lovecraft, Dunsany, Clark Ashton Smith etc.
>>
>>9226271
ooooooh, sorry, I generally just refer to that as Pulp, but you're specifically talking about Weird Tales and that stuff.

Finding scans of Weird Tales is pretty easy.

Robert E. Howard's Conan and Kull stuff is pretty good, if you don't mind it's tacky and simplistic racism. But it's part of the genre really, no avoiding it.

L. Sprague Du Camp wrote some really great alternate history and strange stuff. I haven't read a lot of his stuff, but there are lots of republished short story collections.

Clark Ashton Smith is another one of their circle. August Derleth is another. Derleth is better remembered for his regionalist non-fiction accounts of small town life in wisconsin. At the Prairie Du Chien library you can see a telescope that Lovecraft gave to him.
>>
Algernon Blackwood
M.R. James
Arthur Machen
Richard Gavin
William Hope Hodgson
>>
>>9226295
>>9226308
Which stories?
>>
>>9226336
For Howard, I'd suggest The Devil in Iron or The Tower of the Elephant.

For L. Sprauge De Camp I'd suggest Aristotle and the Gun, Language for Time Travelers, The Wheels of If
>>
>>9226336
Blackwood - Ancient Sorceries and Other Stories
James - Curious Warnings
Machen - The House of Souls
Gavin - Charnel Wine
Hodgson - Carnacki, the Ghost Finder
>>
The final boss of Lovecraftian horror fiction is Cyclonopedia by Reza Negarestani.

It's basically the Necronomicon. If Abdul Alhazred were born in Iran in the 60s and lived through the revolution, oil booms and busts, gulf wars and the war on terror, ISIS, etc. and wrote the Necronomicon in 2008 the end product would be Cyclonopedia.

tl;dr The middle east is a living entity, oil is the Earth's death-drive made sentient, capitalism is an alien invader, a fifth columnist in the planet's war against all life including its own.
>>
>>9226567
Yeah, it's a cool book, but it really bears no resemblance to the coherent pulp scifi/fantasy/horror tales that OP is wanting.
>>
>>9226250
I still appreciate the post anon.
>>
>>9226571
True.

To actually contribute I think The White People by Arthur Machen is one of the best weird fiction stories and I've tried to emulate its ability to bring you into the girl's subjectivity a few times but I'm not good enough.

Kiss of the Black God though is my all-time fave.
>>
>>9226232
Chambers
Ligotti
Bierce
>>
>>9226596
>Kiss of the Black God
that's by c.l. moore, not machen, and it's called black god's kiss, but nonetheless, you have great taste
>>
File: weirdbooks.jpg (258KB, 1200x755px) Image search: [Google]
weirdbooks.jpg
258KB, 1200x755px
Go for the classics first.
>>
>>9226567
Negarestani is based, how Cyclonopedia has not got more recognition on lit I genuinely do not understand. His philosophy stuff is great too.

t. Farsi-speaking anon
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.