[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are typical books an English major would study?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: images-96.jpg (33KB, 443x332px) Image search: [Google]
images-96.jpg
33KB, 443x332px
What are typical books an English major would study?
>>
Shitty YA identity politics, unless you go to St. John's or somewhere similar.
>>
File: BaristaBible.jpg (29KB, 300x391px) Image search: [Google]
BaristaBible.jpg
29KB, 300x391px
>>
What literature would you put in an university English curriculum if you could?
>>
>>9224260
Confirmed never having gone to university
>>
I'm not sure how common early English literature courses are, but probably Beowulf, Chaucer, the Pearl Poet (mainly Gawain), Herbet, Donne, Swift, Sterne, Milton, Jonson, Shakespeare, Bunyan, to name a few.
>>
>>9224296
I have, and I've checked many reading lists. There's literally graphic novels on them, like Persepolis, there's young adult novels written by POCs, and there's a couple actual pieces of literature written by "dead straight white men."
>>
https://www.english.ox.ac.uk/course-structure
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/english
>>
>>9224244
Spenser, Shakespeare, Dickens, Eliot, Austen, Melville, Joyce, Woolf, to name a few.
>>
>>9224323
heh i hadn't read that post, we both said to name a few.
>>
>>9224330
I mean, universities may offer intro level English courses on modern stuff like that. My school has a dystopian fiction class in the English department. But if you were actually pursuing an English degree, that would just be one of your electives. The requirements to get a degree in English are going to be actual literature
>>
>>9224330
Been reading too much right wing bs lad
>>
>>9224330
Lol youve never been have you
>>
>>9224382
No, wow, you caught me. Detective Trueman on the case. I literally lied about everything. It's not like I'm a president of my university or anything. Faggot.
>>
>>9224244
>English major

Are you actually?
>>
>>9224344
yep, i completely forgot Spenser somehow, and i loved the Faerie Queene. and i second all the more recent authors you included
>>
>>9224410
You did lie
>>
>>9224427
i envy you your willpower to charge through Spenser, have you read any Burton? i suppose he would also be an excellent example of one to study under english lit.
>>
>>9224260
St. John's? NY or MN?
>>
Fifty shades of grey series
>>
I read some good stuff at school. Borges, Pynchon, Virginia Woolf, Aleramo, Kafka, Kawabata, Nabokov, Jennifer Egan, DFW, John Barth. Lolita is huge for critical reading courses, Crying of Lot 49 gets assigned a lot, Dream Tigers by Borges was a nice surprise, also had to read Labyrinths.
>>
Hardly any. English majors in the US might read three or four books in a semester, and 80% of them don't even care to read those.
>>
>>9224260
This. I took a class on American Lit in college, and all we read were by female or minority authors bitching about white men.
>>
>>9224545

He's talking Annapolis. I went to St. John's NY. Fucking sucked my dude.
>>
>>9224244
These are the prescribed readings for my uni's Intro to English class:

>Peter Carey, selected short stories
>Charles Dickens, Great Expectations
>Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest
>Virginia Woolf, Mrs Dalloway
>Thomas Pynchon, The Crying of Lot 49
>Carol Ann Duffy, Rapture
>>
File: IMG_1431.jpg (287KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1431.jpg
287KB, 750x1334px
>>9224244
Fuck

I'm a senior and I want to go to Michigan so bad, but why are they so cucked?
>>
Is there literally any reason to get an English degree if you're not determined to do graduate studies afterwards?

I've read various articles about how BAs in English are starting to get some traction in the corporate world because they are desperate for employees who know how to communicate effectively, but I feel like that's bullshit.
>>
>>9228501
They're desperate for professionals who also know how to communicate well, not random idiots blabbering poetically.
>>
>>9224265

You joke but after looking for 'proper jobs' for the past three months, the idea of working as a barista again is pretty appealing.

It's not exactly like most of the entry-level monkey work you can get as English lit grad is paid much less than what you get for making delicious coffees all day.
>>
>>9227693
Lol, Michigan. Enjoy a place that thinks it's the best in the world while solidly producing constant mediocrity.
>>
>>9224244
Depends on the ideological contours of the institution. Some will be trying to stretch the literary tradition to be more inclusive and incorporate intersectional or comparative study into their field, while more conservative instutitions offer an explicit focus on classical form, mythology, technique, tradition etc.
>>
>>9228539
t. Ohio state
>>
>>9227452
Are you in the UK?
>>
I'm studying English Lit in a third world country, here's what's on the reading list for my Novel classes:

Robinson Crusoe
Gulliver's Travels
Ivanhoe
Pride and Prejudice
Jane Eyre
Great Expectations
Vanity Fair
Wuthering Heights
Heart of Darkness
A Passage to India
Sons and Lovers
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
Mrs. Dalloway
Lord of the Flies

In that order.
>>
Why is the one common book in all of these lists Great Expectations?
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.