[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Not murican, so excuse me if the answer is simple to everyone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: car.jpg (24KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
car.jpg
24KB, 300x225px
Not murican, so excuse me if the answer is simple to everyone making kindergarden over the pond, I'm just wondering why were beatniks so much better in literature than the subsequent hippies? I everywhere else the hippie movement was larger. Music, art, film, even influence, but in literature they have nothing. Shitty Cuck Nest, and hardly even hippy, Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test, and that's it. Absolutely nothing else that you can tie it to them. At the same time you have Burroughs, and Keroack, both with huge and influential opuses, and then also Ginsberg, and Corso. I'm not saying the quality is up there, far from that, but but compared to hippy literature, it's like oasis versus desert. And as soon as 60's ended you again have lit yearning for them, and it's actually half decent, but from the them nothing, as if everyone had their heads too fried up from all the dope they took.
>>
Beat literature and poetry was good because they were revolting against the conformist society of the 1950s. So what they said was defined by that society and culture and their rejection of it.
Whereas hippies weren't really revolting against society- they had created a new subculture. It was also a much more populist movement. So they were really exploring new ideas, like Eastern religion, psychedelics, new music, etc. I would say they didn't really have any passion or need for literature.
>>
>>9223933
Many of the beatniks also attended prestigious universities, like Ginsberg and Burroughs. The hippies were too busy living their culture, not mediating their feelings through art.

You might think the Beatniks had a superior culture from the perspective of creative output, but the hippie movement had a much greater impact on society and politics as a whole. The beatniks inspired many hippies, but they didn't do much else. Whereas you can consider the hippie movement responsible for a new era of sexual politics and the end of the vietnam war.
>>
What years are you referencing as bad? Gravity's Rainbow was published in 1973.
>>
>>9223933
Writing requires a functional brain. Hippies were exclusively worthless uneducated mystics that had never read a book in their life much less write one.

Asking why there is no hippy literature is kind of like wondering why no rap has not engendered a literary surge.
>>
>>9224082
And I say this as an enormous fan of William Burroughs.

But there's no denying something like Buffalo Springfield's "For What Its Worth" had more impact than "Junkie" or "Naked Lunch", regardless of the fact that one is a pop song trading in cliches and the others are groundbreaking works of literature.
>>
>>9224082
I'm not arguing what they inspired, just what they left behind in writing. All I see is huge disparity there. I mean, for beats, you go read On The Road, what do you do for hippies?
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.