[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Language & philosophy.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: download.jpg (5KB, 246x205px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5KB, 246x205px
What, other than pic related, are essential reading with regards to language and its philosophy?
>>
my diary desu

bump though
>>
frege
russell.

but actually you are better of learning linguistics aspects of things before trying attempt constructing an idea of language.
>>
>>9222219
Should've mentioned probably Frege and Russell with Wittg, my mistake.
>>
Steven Pinker
>>
Language Truth and Logic by Ayer
>>
>>9222225
>22222
YOU RUINED IT

YOU FUCKING RUINED IT
>>
File: 03-r_Herder_JohannGottfried[1].jpg (1MB, 1240x1713px) Image search: [Google]
03-r_Herder_JohannGottfried[1].jpg
1MB, 1240x1713px
>>9222214
*blocks your path*
>>
>>9222214
Austin, Heidi
>>
>>9222214
Late Heidegger, Derrida and 'Language and Death' by Agamben. If you prefer patric continental philosophy of language ofc.
>>
>>9222286
seconding this
>>
>>9222286
Got any Heidegger recs. for language? he has a large bibliography iirc.

same for Derridada.
>>
>>9222318
Unterwegs Zur Sprache and Was Heisst Denken (for late Heidegger general), but desu it's a lot easier to understand what Heidegger is doing in his late period, when you are acquanted with Being and Time era H.

For Derrida, idk, all he talks about is language, the classic is the grammatologie though. Read up on Saussure first.

Agamben also has quite an interesting critique of Derrida's deconstruction, don't remember exactly where though.
>>
Plato's Cratylus
Rousseau's Essay on the origin of languages certainly some Hegel but I couldn't say which part.
Merleau-Ponty (get to know Saussure first), Signs - actually one of the essays collected in "Signs".
>>
>>9222219
>but actually you are better of learning linguistics aspects of things before trying attempt constructing an idea of language
This.

I'm discovering the hard way that a solid foundation in linguistics is very helpful when studying the philosophy of language. Not entirely necessary (I've gotten a lot out of an introductory study of Frege, Russell, Kripke, etc on semantic properties and naming), but I've found myself referring more and more to introductory linguistic texts.
>>
>>9222513
such as?
>>
>>9222521
>such as?
Introductory texts? Having looked at a few reputable university reading lists for prospective linguistics students I settled on David Crystal's How Language Works. It's a really nice introduction for the non-academic, and as such is much more readable than a text book (and much less partisan than the Pinker book that also gets recommended). Having said that, I still refer to various encyclopaedias from time to time if a specific term or concept comes up that isn't covered in any detail in that Crystal.
>>
>>9222214
Victoria ur just a meme. -Andrea
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.