[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Helen of Troy or Helen of Sparta?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: euripides the hedghog.jpg (110KB, 375x500px) Image search: [Google]
euripides the hedghog.jpg
110KB, 375x500px
So, is there a way you can justify incongruences between version of the greek traditional tales?

I mean, i can get Sofocles, Esquilo and Euripides writted differents "Electra" since they interpretaded the myth acording to their own knowledge, opinions and understanding.

Still, if you read Euripides "The trojans" and "Hecuba" you can see that the topic of Polixena's death is slightly different. How can this be? It's the same autor, or isn't it? Did Euripides changed what he knew about the myth and therefore changed it on another play?

This same case can be seen on "Helen" where helen is a nice wife trapped on Egypt and the "helen" that was with paris was just an illusion. On this play Helen is portrayed has an angel and on the other Euripides plays he always make her look like shit.

What do you think? lets discuss niggas

BTW sorry about my english, mi native lenguaje is Mexican
>>
Just think about it like comicbooks. Elseworlds and shit. Everything is canon, or not.
>>
>>9220313
There is no canon of ancient mythology. There are a bunch of stories about interesting characters recycled and reused by different storytellers for different purposes.

Don't try to find the "right" answer; try to find out why a story teller is messing with a different version. Stop thinking of myths as inherently different from literature.

No puedo hablar en espanol muy bien, pero voy a tratar: no hay historias de graecia o roma que son "correctas." Todas fueron mitos, y todas fueron importantes porque la gente de la pasada las gustan. No debes buscar las versiones que aparecen derechas porque no existen -- son historias, no son realidad -- debes estudiar las differencias entre las historias y debes preguntar "porque?" Parece en los mitos modernos de vampiros o magos. Me entiendes?
>>
Alternatively, all the contradicting stories are simultaneously true
>>
>>9221413
quantum history. the only way to fly.
>>
>>9220379
yeah man i get it but my question is: Why does the same autor desagree with himself on another play that he made?
>>
>>9220313
I think its based on Stesicoro's Palinodia
>>
>>9221417
holy...
>>
The "definitive edition", so to speak, was assembled in a painstaking progress by the alexandrine school. They were much closer to the source material, both chronologically and culturally than we are, so I choose to trust Zenodotus etc. over modern scholars
>>
>>9221928

Because the plays weren't intended to be a direct and fully truthful retelling of events. They were written for a variety of reasons ranging from entertainment to propaganda.

Think of them as the ancient world's equivalent of "Based on a true story" films. The overall picture probably has some truth to it, but the details are edited for the purposes of the story the writer wants to tell.
>>
she stayed in alexandria

trust in herodotus

modern academics need literally any excuse to publish
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.