[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pynchonkino?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_0627.jpg (122KB, 630x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0627.jpg
122KB, 630x1200px
>>
>>9216756
No
>>
File: ZL639ql.jpg (61KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
ZL639ql.jpg
61KB, 1366x768px
>>9216756
Yes, love it, fantastic movie for when you have a hangover

Pynchon gave it his seal of approval also
>>
i love it but the film's focalizing of the impressionist narrative seems wrong? on an event-by-event basis the film is faithful, typical filmic exclusions and abridgements aside, but the compass is off... PTA has led us to inferrences i don't think pynchon was trying to make. maybe it is inherent in the process of filmic adaptation, maybe it is in untangling and retelling pynchon's complex writing, but it feels not like the novel itself but a commentary on the novel, a layman's commentary on a work beyond his depth.

anyways... yeah i like it.
>>
How accurate to the novel was this?
>>
havent read the book but its on my list. honestly one of my favorite movies though. PTA is good, i dont care.
>>
>>9216795
>>9216795
Pynchon implies, readers infer. Opinion discarded.
>>
I love both Pynchon and PTA, but that just wasn't a good adaptation. I know he couldn't have fit the whole thing into a two hour film, but having watched it right after reading the novel, it felt like there were a lot of important bits missing. I can't imagine it making sense to someone who hasn't read the book either.
>>
>>9216795
pretty accurate post

the movie leaves out 75% of the book, what's the point of even doing an adaptation?
>>
>>9216756
Pynchonkino is one of those $10 DVD sets of 50 public domain westerns
>>
>>9217023
THis
>>
>>9216795
>maybe it is inherent in the process of filmic adaptation
It's an Inherent Vice anon
>>
What are the differences between the book and the movie?
>>
>>9219791
no vegas section
no elaboration on shasta's escape from golden fang
no lemuria stuff
no acid trip
sortilege is a spiritual guide for doc, in the book she's just a regular hippie and its her friend who is the spiritual guy
no zomes in the desert
no vietnam connection
different ending
no doc's parents
no yakuza
no conspiracy within the nazis where the biker girl gets the film developed and they realize the guy who got killed was sitting in for the guy who was supposed to let the troops into the place

this is all from memory, not having seen the movie since it came out or having read the book since before. a lot is omitted overall, but it keeps the same tone and the major plot is as unchanged as it can be
>>
File: nicememe.jpg (483KB, 1263x1074px) Image search: [Google]
nicememe.jpg
483KB, 1263x1074px
>>9217493
Making film isn't about literary wit.

It is about being able to abridge literary wit into a narrative that visually implies the parts that are verbally left out.

PTA isn't clueless when it comes to adapting Pynchon's work, indeed deciding what to keep and what to leave out is among the most difficult decisions a person makes when adapting work.

His adaptation was tasteful. My only strong criticism is that Joaquin Phoenix seems too sad to play Doc. I always imagined Doc as being more like the dude, and less like The Brood.
>>
File: 1465734966640.jpg (561KB, 1216x2146px) Image search: [Google]
1465734966640.jpg
561KB, 1216x2146px
>>9219847
>sortilege is a spiritual guide for doc, in the book she's just a regular hippie and its her friend who is the spiritual guy

movies always ask the question: Why waste precious screen time elaborating on two characters when you could elaborate on just one?

The truth is filmic adaptations of literature are not for the literary fans, it is for filmgoers. The literary fans merely serve as a viral marketing engine.
>>
>>9219887
>Why waste precious screen time elaborating on two characters when you could elaborate on just one?
Altman certainly doesn't ask this
>>
>>9219847
>different ending

and the ending of the novel was so good.. really made me sad.

The film overall is good but most of its quality is in the dialogue which is mostly due to the novel.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.