[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tell me about Faulkner.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

>>
>>9216504
Why does he smoke the pipe?
>>
>>9216504
He's a prosefag and, most importantly, a hack.
>>
>>9216507
A lot of royalties, for a hired gun!
>>
>>9216504
I didn't expect much but was absolutely blown away by As I Lay Dying
>>
>>9216507
picked up habit from his cat garfunkel
>>
>>9216507
If I start smoking, will I die?
>>
>>9216504
The only good thing he ever did was lay the groundwork of McCarthy.
>>
File: camus_pipe.jpg (21KB, 320x306px) Image search: [Google]
camus_pipe.jpg
21KB, 320x306px
>>9216683
It would be extremely stylish
>>
>>9216504
>>9216507

Faulkner's writing was good between TSATF and AA! and maybe A Fable.

The guy's life was a complete sham though. He wanted to be a war hero so badly, but couldn't get into the USAF in time for the world war. So he became a pilot for Canada briefly and came up with the entirely fake history to impress people. Otherwise he was nearly always broke, wrote cheesy shit for Hollywood to make money, and drank his life away.

But his views on Southern culture are pretty spot on, and the guy can wax an incredible sentence. Worth reading for those two things alone.
>>
>>9216504
I picked up a book of his the other day, took one look at the cover, and realized that it contained nothing of significance.
>>
>>9216732
>he was nearly always broke, wrote cheesy shit for Hollywood to make money, and drank his life away

22-year-old me would have jumped at the prospect of such a life. The temptation arises now and then, but no one would pay for the cheese I grind between spasms.
>>
“...I give you the mausoleum of all hope and desire...I give it to you not that you may remember time, but that you might forget it now and then for a moment and not spend all of your breath trying to conquer it. Because no battle is ever won he said. They are not even fought. The field only reveals to man his own folly and despair, and victory is an illusion of philosophers and fools.”
>>
>>9216707

For you.
>>
>>9216504
Ol' Buk on Faulkner: "He's one of the worst practitioners of that [boring, vapid writing]".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTPxWkBgW6U
>>
>>9216504
A mastermind

"The Sound and the Fury" is the best English book I have ever read.

He was a bit of an alcoholic though.
>>
My girlfriend reads him a Flannery O'Connor a lot.
>>
>>9216504
Now where could my pipe be?
>>
>>9216504
He was a snazzy dresser.
Always had nice shoes.
>>
>>9216812
lol upvote
>>
>>9217653
lol, deft
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.