[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone interested in a Life and Fate reading group?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

Ordered a copy that should arrive sometime next week. It has god-tier reviews in Goodreads and has been compared to War and Peace.

Thoughts?
>>
>>9216400
No not really
>>
No need for a reading group. It's a lot more about ordinary citizens and civilians (with much inspiration from Chekhov whom Grossman admired) from concentration camps in Germany to the troop reserves in the Caucasus's. But like War and Peace, lots of characters.

What I find a lot more interesting is that it's a snapshot of the history and culture from WWII that is almost entirely gone today. Grossman clearly denounces both the constructs of Fascism and Communism on fundamental and moral levels but still supplies his own counterarguments like a devil's advocat through his characters. You'll also find some Russian lit discussion from Russians, how people ironically called Dosto's The Possessed a reactionary text and how Grossman thinks that the USSR are the last ones to understand Chekhov and are ignorant on Tolstoy. It's helpful if you know about Stalingrad and the general history surrounding the invasion of Russia. Read it by yourself if you do read it, and if you're looking for an emotional ride, you'll probably get that too
>>
>>9216448
So it lives up to the hype?
>>
>>9216400
Sounds like commie propaganda about Glorious Patriotic War for Defense of the Motherland.
>>
>>9216400
Sorry for the off-topic post, but l'm looking for a book by by a Hungarian author published by that same piblisher.

Help?
>>
>>9216949
I'm fairly certain its anti-communist and anti-Nazi.
>>
i read that about a month ago. it was very good.
definitely read the gulag archipelago by solzhenitsyn too.
>>
>>9217041
I read that Hitler and Stalin were characters in the book. Are just referred to in third person or are they actual characters with dialogue like Napoleon and Kutuzov in War and Peace?
>>
>>9217037
So it's not good for anybody is what you're saying?
>>
File: 1456897247656.png (167KB, 256x384px) Image search: [Google]
1456897247656.png
167KB, 256x384px
>>9216400

My uncnle got part in episode as extra in the series. He was some kind of medical personel. Called me few times to name the timecode for his 15 seconds of fame haha.
>>
>>9217041

Professor, go to bed already.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.