[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Deconstruction

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: Schopenhauer.jpg (15KB, 300x358px) Image search: [Google]
Schopenhauer.jpg
15KB, 300x358px
I've had a discussion with some groups and I think you guys are the best one for this, which mainly involved the meaning of deconstruction.
What is a Deconstruction /lit/? Is it possible for a work to be a Deconstruction or is it just a form of analytic examination of a work? Is it the breaking down of its own genre? Is it nothing but just a synonym of realism?
>>
>>9214893
On its own terms decon is realism with eyes. It's not terribly difficult, really just a matter of pointing out how most arguments, say, implode on their own. For instance, when Yeats wonders how it is possible to distinguish the dancer from the dance, the deconstructionist notes that the poet himself has just made that distinction, dancer\dance, so if the poet can distinguish, so can the reader, and the words as a result lose what is called 'meaning' --it's a pretty dirty business, some are more skillful at using it than others, but, at this time, though sometimes useful, thoroughly bankrupt as a religion.
>>
>>9214893

tl;dring the post above, deconstruction is basically the idea that language is self-defeating. It's a pretty spicy way to rejuvenate literary criticism because now that we've said everything to say about most books worth reading we can go back and show how all those books are actually saying the exact opposite.

My favorite deconstruction is Zizek's commentary on The Sound of Music: The message of the movie is anti-nazi but when you look at the subtext it's secretly fascist. The good guys are pastoral aryans from the countryside, straight out of a German propaganda poster about the way the world used to be, while the Nazis are all wealthy, urban, jew-looking.

That's an example of deconstruction.
>>
>>9214893
You can oppose Deconstruction to Structuralism, for contrast if that helps.

One of the simplest deffinitions I've heard is "swapping the foreground for the background". That is, looking beyond what is obvious and intended, and looking at the context surrounding the artwork.
>>
>>9215130
So a convoluted way of taking things out of context while still making it appear related to the original subject.

Seems pretty silly and pretty fun.
>>
>>9215159
No, it's about taking things "in context" not out of context.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.