[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is direct speech really necessary? Indirect speech seems more

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 67kkk.jpg (305KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
67kkk.jpg
305KB, 1500x1000px
Is direct speech really necessary?
Indirect speech seems more elegant and artistic than
>'Hurr,' - said durr
With indirect speech you can pack entire conversations in one sentence instead of wasting everyone's time
>>
It's fun to imagine the dialogues and interpreting however you want. In my opinion, it also helps to organise your text
>>
>>9213248
Direct speech has the advantage that it can showcase a character not only on what he says, but his choice of word. What is said in the conversation is just as important as how it was said and who said it.

If what is important is that the conversation happenned and the information contained within, then using indirect speech seems like a sound decision. It has the risk and advantage of putting the characters through an impersonal light, which can be telling of certain relationships between charactes.

Ergo, if stuff needs to happen and the characters are secondary to their happening, indirect.

If you need to showcase a character and their changes and feelings, direct.

Le my opinion
>>
>>9213248
What seems elegant and artistic to you is trite and bloated to anyone who's read all the crap by unpublished amateurs who think what what they're doing is elegant and artistic.

Sorry, buddy, but if you want to actually write nice-sounding prose, you have to work for it. Can't just flip the subject-predicate model on its head and call it art.
>>
>With indirect speech you can pack entire conversations in one sentence instead of wasting everyone's time
Yes, but then you give the reader the impression that he's reading a Sparknotes summary of a novel instead of a novel. You want to do this sort of thing when a character is relaying something to another character that the reader already knows, e.g. when the protagonist is telling some secondary character about everything that happened in the previous chapter. And you want to do it sparingly. If your plot is constantly calling for characters to say things that the reader already knows, then it's time to rethink the plot.
>>
>>9213291
>>9213296
>>9213319
t. stuck in the paradigm
>>
>>9213333
I'll take the paradigm over never finding an agent any day.
>>
Unless you're an Ameritard, don't use direct speech
>>
>>9213355
Homer: what a hack.
>>
I get the feeling the purpose of direct speech is basically so that the author can more directly give their own viewpoints and opinions (or the opposite) most of the time
>>
>>9214050
This

Or atleast to better project an important event or dialogue
>>
>>9213248
free indirect discourse falls into the trap of the "omniscient narrator/puppetmaster" meme which modernists/post-modernists have been trying to do away with for over a century now. Also some of the worst purple prose is the result of an author who doesn't know how to speak through the voices of his characters
>>
That does not look at all like an animal or any kind of organism but apparently it is one
>>
>>9217269
Waterbears are the nature's stoics
>Tardigrades are the most resilient animal known: they can survive extreme conditions that would be rapidly fatal to nearly all other known life forms. They can withstand temperature ranges from 1 K (−458 °F; −272 °C) (close to absolute zero) to about 420 K (300 °F; 150 °C)
>>
>>9218124
It looks like some kind of machine/robot with a tarp thrown over it
>>
>>9219433
>the goyim know!
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.