[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

C.P Cavafy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: cavafy.jpg (19KB, 208x346px) Image search: [Google]
cavafy.jpg
19KB, 208x346px
What is /lit/'s opinion on Cavafy?

I really like his poetry, and if you haven't read it would definitely recommend it.

Also general Cavafy thread if there's any interest.
>>
looks kind of like the feels guy
>>
File: cavafy 2.jpg (23KB, 256x300px) Image search: [Google]
cavafy 2.jpg
23KB, 256x300px
>>9209666
it was a doodle by hockney.

He had a big nose tho.

also check'd
>>
gay.
>>
>>9209686
i don't really care. I was just saying the picture looked kind of like the feels guy.
>>
>>9209690
there's some resemblance i grant you.
>>
>>9209686
Oh, I don't really want to read anything something Hockney likes :/
>>
>>9209716
im not sure if hockney read his poetry, let alone liked it. I am sure that it was a luxury exclusive edition book that he got paid hella to draw for.
>>
File: 1460911091891.jpg (31KB, 960x541px) Image search: [Google]
1460911091891.jpg
31KB, 960x541px
>>9209663
Cheeky bantz about Hellenistic/Byzantine history = BASED
Hunky sailors = not so much.
>>
>>9209757
yeah. Though, to his credit, he isn't the most in your face with the homoeroticism
>>
>>9209716
didn't hockney illustrate fairy tales?
>>9209687
>>9209757
i like the sailors and young boy memories :3

the barbarians are coming is hilarious fun.
>>
>>9209868
yeah it really is. Tbac is one of my favourites. I also like ithaka because im a mainstream fag
>>
>>9209889
>ithaka
ha, i love The City, which is something of a counterpoint
>>
>>9210006
i love the fact that cavafy just trots out such a dichotomy in so many of his poems. He has a unity throughout his poems, in tone etc, but very few poems are obviously directly related chronolically or thematically
>>
>>9210130
he makes me want to write poetry. i can see why the modernists liked him so much because his poems are like little snapshots. he can shift perspective entirely and it's still a whole image, and just as sentimental. he has one where he talks about writing a poem of "alexandrian greek" to make people proud of that greek, and i think that comes across most in his poetry because they do all feel like he could be working for a tourism board. there's a sense of easiness of lifestyle, even in sorrow, stemming from language and history that seems to seep through his works, like an implication a bottle of wine on the greek coast (and the odd sailor boy) writing a poem is all you need. making language seem effortless like that is probably more difficult than he makes it seem, but i think there's a pride in lifestyle and language driving it. people like wilde and gide travelled to see what he saw by accident of birth.
>>
>>9210187
The easiness of language i feel must stem from the Greek. I study classics and ancient Greek does have an amazing amount of rhyme, assonance, and synonyms that can, and are, used; I feel the same is probably true of modern Greek.

It also always amazes me how Cavafy can turn the smallest Hellenistic story/person/event into such wonderful poetry (such as Kaisarion)
>>
>>9209841
>he isn't the most in your face with the homoeroticism

I don't believe you. Every gay author I've ever read has felt the need to allude to their gayness in every other line.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.