[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what is even the point of literature. even if it was possible

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

File: hesse.jpg (15KB, 162x227px) Image search: [Google]
hesse.jpg
15KB, 162x227px
what is even the point of literature. even if it was possible to live your life grounded in the kinds of truths literature reveals, you never come out the other end. nor did anyone who mined them. did hesse pull knulp's reality from his own life, or did he just have talent for imagining it?
>>
File: IMG_2808.jpg (68KB, 640x427px)
IMG_2808.jpg
68KB, 640x427px
>what is even the point

there is none. to nothing. now get over it
>>
>>9206830

Teenage posters are the worst.
>>
>>9206845
nice fedora faggot answer
>>
To study cultural artefacts.

>live your life grounded in the kinds of truths literature reveals

Who the fuck approaches literature like this lol
>>
>>9206863
so you just look at it like you look at a shitty tv show? good for writing high school essays about? do you think someone like hesse is a deeper thinker than the rest of us or do you just think he has a knack for spinning quirky stories?
>>
>>9206877
Whoa, books are like a collection of high school essays.
>>
>>9206887
k so you guys have no answers and you're scared to even think about it, or you don't know how
>>
>>9206896
Holy...
>>
File: 1367899558049.jpg (108KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
1367899558049.jpg
108KB, 500x700px
>>9206850

Answer to what? Your sorry adolescent bitching?
>like, what is even the POINT of literature? goddd
>>
>>9206915
ok tell me why you read it then. actually don't, i know why. you read it like a fucking child reads harry potter. you're a grown fedora fag who curls up with a novel and rests a saucer with a single donut on it on your fat hairy belly while as you lay in bed. none of it has ever had any effect on your life and you probably take that as a point of pride
>>
>>9206925
This guy keeps blowing my mind.
>>
>>9206928
how about you blow my mind and answer the question faggot
>>
>>9206937
what is even the point of answering your question. even if it was possible to live your life grounded in the kinds of truths such questioning reveals, you never come out the other end. nor did anyone who mined them.
>>
>>9206830

>what is even the point of

There has never been, and never will be any point to anything.

You need to be over 18 to post here.
>>
File: 1484728633166.jpg (451KB, 1500x1131px) Image search: [Google]
1484728633166.jpg
451KB, 1500x1131px
>>9206925

Learn how to subjugate your ego and keep challenging yourself. Don't go crying to the internet and bitterly lashing out at other people every time you feel like you've hit a wall mentally. Get over your adolescent egotism and work on the issues that are bothering you, son. That is how you improve in life. That is how you develop character.
>>
>>9206948
>heh why should i even consider a question when i can make a smart ass retort and continue to pretend my life is worth something
you probably wear a goatee
>>
>>9206959
it's just a simple question. I'm not bitter, I'm annoyed that people won't answer the question, even if it's poorly worded.
it's a simple question: what is the point of literature

if that's too offensive and TEEN ANGST for you, ill rephrase it for the fedora bridage: what is the value of literature for own life, don't give me a reddit essay, does it have any effect on your life besides entertainment?
>>
>>9206954
>There has never been, and never will be any point to anything.
this is even more teenage nihilism than my own question
>>
>>9206974
The point is entertainment, self improvement and / or gaining knowledge. You can argue that all of this doesn't have a purpose, but if you don't kill yourself you have to try to be happy. If you don't enjoy literature, stop reading and stop posting.
>>
>>9206989

I can't tell if he's really bad at baiting and is working hard to get his bait thread off the ground or if he's 15. What a lukewarm thread this is.
>>
>>9206961
Answer my question
>>
>>9206989
thanks for a straight answer. Have you in your personal experience seen anyone take literature seriously to the point where it has changed their life and the follow a path now? I don't mean joining a bdsm club after reading twilight, I mean a serious principle?
>>
>>9207012

>Have you in your personal experience seen anyone take literature seriously to the point where it has changed their life and the follow a path now?

Of course. You will too when you finally leave High School.
>>
>>9207012
No, I haven't. Do you include philosophy in literature? I think there are people who read books about stoicism for example and actively try to be stoic.
>>
>>9207041
>Of course. You will too when you finally leave High School.
please, you're basically waiting to die. none of this stuff has any effect on anyone and if it did it wouldn't help anyway. it's not about how angsty and teen age it sounds, it's about admitting that in the 20 years since you left high school the fundamentals haven't changed. i'm not looking for sympathy or understanding, i'm looking for honesty
>>
>>9207045
yes, great works of literature are full of philosophy about life. my question is, does someone like hesse live it, or does he just invent it when he sits down to write?
>>
>>9207069

>my question is, does someone like hesse live it, or does he just invent it when he sits down to write?

None of this stuff has any effect on anyone and if it did it wouldn't help anyway.
>>
>>9207082
wow you're really clever
>>
>>9207091

For you.
>>
I'm turning 20 next week and unironically side with OP on this one. I don't see how the question in the OP screems angsty teenager because I've asked myself the same and I consider myself above that phase of development. Dosto failed to convince me I'm wrong. Also, I honestly believe that anyone who belittled OP in this thread and anyone who gave advice such as "X and Y means building character" or "this is why you're objectively wrong" is actually unsincere with themselves and is living an ideologic lie.

TLDR how long 'till I seppuku
>>
>>9207106

Damn you made short work of Dosto. And at 19, no less! I guess he was too unsincere as well.

You didn't fall for the reading meme either. Nice one.
>>
>>9207122
I teared up at the donkey dream and was left very impressed by Crime & Punishment as a whole two years ago.
However, I've grown out of it in the meantime.

Irony is not the answer. If you were in my place, you would've been just as disappointed in the lack of helpful responses. Leave mockery for the middle school bullies, s'il vous pletes.
>>
>>9206830
Entertainment
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.