[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Never use a metaphor, simile, or other figure of speech which

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: George_Orwell_press_photo.jpg (2MB, 1176x1596px) Image search: [Google]
George_Orwell_press_photo.jpg
2MB, 1176x1596px
>Never use a metaphor, simile, or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print.
>Never use a long word where a short one will do.
>If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out.
>Never use the passive where you can use the active.
>Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word, or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent.
>Break any of these rules sooner than say anything outright barbarous.

Thoughts?
>>
Why does everyone hate passive writing?
>>
>>9205070
All spooks.
>>
Who decides what everyday English is? My everyday English is full of jargon.
>>
he wanted to communicate to the people. He succeeded, so good for him. If that's your goal its a good formula.
>>
>>9205116
/thread
>>
File: 13434798756.jpg (107KB, 522x579px) Image search: [Google]
13434798756.jpg
107KB, 522x579px
>>9205099
>>
>>9205070
>English rules for writing
My holy keks, what a load of whaleshit. English is the shame of human culture.
>>
He had a few good concepts, but he wasn't a good writer.
>>
>>9205082

Because it means you are not assigning responsibility or blame for an action.
>>
>>9205580
What do you mean? Why is the writer's 'responsibility' important? Sorry I'm confused
>>
>>9205070

I'm thinking why I would listen to advice from someone whose prose was nothing stellar... oops, I mean "not very good"
>>
>>9205335
Wow, you sure showed him.
>>
He died! his death made no great stir on earth:
His burial made some pomp; there was profusion
Of velvet, gilding, brass, and no great dearth
Of aught but tears — save those shed by collusion.

For these things may be bought at their true worth;
Of elegy there was the due infusion —
Bought also; and the torches, cloaks, and banners,
Heralds, and relics of old Gothic manners,
>now again following "your" rules
He died, nobody cared,
His burial was fancy
The rest of this "poem" is "gibberish"
>>
>>9205070

>Never use a long word where a short one will do
>writes a novel about how the reduction of language destroys humanity

What did he mean by this?
>>
File: deez.nuts.jpg (28KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
deez.nuts.jpg
28KB, 480x360px
>>9205335
got eeem
>>
>Never use a long word where a short one will do.
>If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out.
>Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word, or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent

Get fucked. I like words.
>>
>>9205070
His essay on the use of the English Language specifically relates to journalism, instructions etc. He never for a moment meant for it to relate to poetry or literature. Just so everyone knows.
>>
since when is george orwell a foremost authority on prose stylism
>>
>>9205949

he's not, but his essays are nearly all fantastic. if you're writing for a "non-literary" audience you'd be hard pressed to find a better mentor.
>>
>>9205707
not him, but compare these sentences.

1) Cain killed Abel.
2) Abel was killed by Cain.
3) Abel was killed.

The second and third sentences are written in passive. you can see that there's less "movement/action". They produce less impact than the first.

Also with passive voice you can remove responsibility (3).
>>
>>9205976
Where's the responsibility in that? It's not up to the author to create impact, that's just a byproduct of someone's experience reading it.
>>
>>9206003
what do you mean where's the responsibility in that?

Cain is responsible for killing Able.

Sentence 3 omits that responsibility; you don't know who killed him.

I agree that impact is the byproduct of someone's experience reading it but the author controls how that person experiences it. It's the same with music, art etc. Persuasive pieces are a good example too.
>>
>>9205070
OP is a bundle of sticks.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.