[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/literary feels/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: nietzsche.jpg (51KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
nietzsche.jpg
51KB, 499x499px
>tfw you're the only patrician on earth in possession of a 'Complete Works of Friedrich Nietzsche.epub' that contains every English translation, fully-working end/footnotes and table-of-contents.
>>
File: e.jpg (17KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
e.jpg
17KB, 200x200px
>translation
>patrician
>>
>>9204451
/thread
>>
>>9204439
You wanna fucking share or are you just gonna keep being "haha I got mine fuck you"
>>
>>9204451
>>9204461
>What torture German books are for anyone with a third ear! How reluctantly he stands by the slowly revolving quagmire of toneless tones and rhythms without dance that the Germans call a "book" ! And the Germans who read books! How lazily, how grudgingly, how badly they read! How many Germans know (and require themselves to know) that there is art in every good sentence! Art that wants to be discerned to the extent that the sentence wants to be understood! A misunderstanding about its tempo, for instance, and the sentence itself is misunderstood! To have no doubts as to the rhythmically decisive syllables, to feel breaks in the most stringent of symmetries as deliberate and attractive, to extend a subtle and patient ear to every staccato and every rubato, guessing the meaning of the order of vowels and diphthongs and how tenderly and richly they can change color and change it again when put next to each other - who among book-reading Germans is well-meaning enough to acknowledge duties and demands like these and to listen for so much art and intent in language? In the end, people just do not have "the ear for it," and so the strongest contrasts in style go unheard and the most subtle artistry is wasted as if on the deaf.

Even Nietzsche acknowledged that translations can be superior to the original, such as Schopenhauer in French. And he spoke several languages.
>>
>>9204488
Only way I would ever share it is if some Anons helped me give it loads of extra information tags, a collaborative document. If someone ever sets that up I would paste in my own epub selections.
>>
>>9204499
Nietzsche just wanted to be a Greek fuccboi.
>>
>>9204499
>muh aesthetics
Irrelevant. Translations invariably alter the meaning of original to some extent, so they can't really be 'superior' in any way, merely different.
>>
>>9204573
If they are different then they are either superior or inferior to the original, by definition.
>>
>>9204573
>it is not the best or worst of a book, that is lost in translation
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.