[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cormac McCarthy's Westerns

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: kimbles nutramb.jpg (109KB, 1042x787px) Image search: [Google]
kimbles nutramb.jpg
109KB, 1042x787px
/lit/ I am taking a course on the novels and plays of Cormac McCarthy. Our final paper/presentation topic is pretty open, so my intent right now is to situate BM and the Border Trilogy within a broader canon of revisionist or anti-westerns. I'm wondering if any of you know of any Westerns that seem to bear directly on McCarthy's treatment of the myth of the West. (You don't need to tell me how, I plan on reading them).

This is what I've already compiled. But aside from Warlock and the films I have not read these yet

books:
>Warlock
>Butcher's Crossing
>Lonesome Dove
>The Virginian
>Riders of the Purple Sage
>True Grit

films:
>Unforgiven
>Dead Man
>Peckinpah
>>
>>9200216
What course would that be? You piqued my intrest

Dead Man was along the lines of Acid Western, I haven't finished it yet, but El Topo is another one of those. Begins with a man and a naked boy in the desert
>>
>>9200216
looks like you meant to post in /fit/ not /lit/
>>
>>9200237
It's just an undergrad course. The prof. is a McCarthy scholar, fairly good course but the discussion is a little weak. Mostly it's just about close reading and watching themes develop through the oeuvre

>acid western
That might be an interesting place to go, although I don't think I have a good grasp of what constitutes an acid western. Some scenes in BM, especially the first Comanche raid, are no doubt hallucinatory in a book of Revelation sort of way
>>
>>9200252
if you saw that why didn't you reply bud
>>
>>9200263
What is the course called and what uni/college do you go to?

I certainly agree that much of Blood Meridian could constitute something along the lines of acid western. Specifically the way the Judge holds himself, wandering naked in the hills at night and such.

The way that I understand the term "acid western" is a western that is meant to be surreal.

Now, this is a vague understanding at the most, google it, I'm sure that would help you find examples for whatever your paper will be over.
>>
>>9200299
I'm fairly sure it's just called Cormac McCarthy, at Centre College
>>
>>9200304
What's your major? I'm looking to transfer from a community college in Nebraska, figuring out where I'm going
>>
>>9200315
I'm an English/Phil. major. Centre's like a mid-tier LAC, very good professors for the most part, but if you're heavy into fringe stuff you might have a harder time here than say Swarthmore. It's a very frat-oriented, small town, partycentric culture. Weird that you're from Nebraska, I've got a friend from Sidney who I think is the only student from that state.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.