[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does /lit/ like Elric of Melnibone?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7

Does /lit/ like Elric of Melnibone?
>>
File: IMG_0482.jpg (260KB, 1920x1080px)
IMG_0482.jpg
260KB, 1920x1080px
>>9199823
Read a couple of them years ago and enjoyed them. Fun fantasy/adventure.

Hard to find good electronic copies.
>>
File: 1475_The_Chequered_Floor.jpg (475KB, 948x1350px) Image search: [Google]
1475_The_Chequered_Floor.jpg
475KB, 948x1350px
yes.

he was particularly funny in "Elric at the End of Time".
>>
>>9199870
>electronic copies.
Heresy.

But in all seriousness, orion publishing has the entire work
https://www.orionbooks.co.uk/books/detail.page?isbn=9780575114388
>>
>>9199883
I still haven't gotten to that one. Went through the main saga and Fortress of the Pearl and about to start on the Von Bek stories.

What is Elric at the End of Time?
>>
>>9199870
>Hard to find good electronic copies.

this. i just went looking for an epub of "elric at the end of time", so i could correctly quote the exchange with Werther de Goethe.. found a few links, but they're all virus holes. had avast shout "THREAT DETECTED!" six times.
>>
File: 1478_Werthers_Skull.jpg (474KB, 1407x950px) Image search: [Google]
1478_Werthers_Skull.jpg
474KB, 1407x950px
>>9199887
i think it was a project done with the artist Rodney Matthews. Elric is hurled into the distant future and meets some of the characters from the "Dancers at the End of Time" stories.

Elric (surly) .. for I have a doom-laden destiny.

Werther (eagerly) I, too, have a doom-laden destiny!

Elric (even more surly) I doubt it is as doom-laden as mine.
>>
>>9199909
kek.
So it's Moorcock taking the piss out of his own work?
>>
>>9199917
yeah! i always take that as a sign of intelligence.

the End of Time books are fucking surreal. everyone has god-like powers, they hang out creating spectacles for each other - building cities - attending parties, changing their shapes to suit their moods - the character Gaf the Horse In Tears is particularly weird - and they are almost entirely innocent of human motives like hatred or even jealousy. so of course, in the Dancers at the End of Time, Moorcock throws a stern, moral 19th century woman into the mix, and the main character falls in love with her. talk about a problematic relationship.
>>
The earlier books aren't bad but the author eventually became obsessed with injecting real-world politics into his books; and Moorcock never outgrew teenage politics.
>>
File: IMGP0022edit.jpg (414KB, 1500x1073px) Image search: [Google]
IMGP0022edit.jpg
414KB, 1500x1073px
>>9199823
Of course, despite Moorcock's imagination outstripping his writing ability. I have this Del Rey set of collected Elric stories.
>>
>>9199823
i thought that was his penis and i had to do a double take
>>
File: Hawkwindlive.jpg (161KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Hawkwindlive.jpg
161KB, 1440x1080px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88rLI5sN61Q

>Wow, he's comic.
>>
>>9199823
Read tons of sci-fi and fantasy in my teens. Always thought Moorcock was overrated to be honest.

If you're going to write genre fiction, you need better plotting. In fact Moorcock barely does plots, more like random sequences of events.
>>
>>9199823
isnt he like the anti-Conan?

pale skin
psychically weak,relies on magic
inmoral
>>
>>9202117
>Characters that remind you of yourself

For me it's Elric - pale, dyel body and a wicked sense of humor.
>>
>>9202113
Which is why he's enjoyable. Turn off your brain and enjoy the anime angst and magic.
>>
>>9199823
Rip off of the Witcher.
>>
>>9202713
weak bait, Anon
>>
>>9202713
Fuck off polack.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.