[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Publishing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: cuck.gif (500KB, 500x399px)
cuck.gif
500KB, 500x399px
I have written a draft (about 150,000 words) of a non-fiction work I intend to publish. I wrote it all in the space of three months.

Is it stupid to have done this? Is it okay to have started with a rough draft?

How do I go about cleaning this all up and whom do I contact to do this? Do I send the draft to any publisher?
>>
>>9199796
>non fiction
>takes place over 3 months
Why would anyone want to read that
>>
>>9199814
What?
>>
>>9199796
care to tell us a little more? non-fiction, on what subject? 150,000 words in three months is kind of rapid, unless you're tweaking.
>>
>>9199854
It's very rough.

It's a philosophical work orientated around Germany.
>>
>>9199796
How do writers (write) without losing progress if file is deleted, clouding it parallel to saving? please help
>>
>>9199865
Don't delete your files. Safe, easy, clean.
>>
>>9199865
Backup external hard-drive and cloud storage.
>>
>>9199796
Edit it yourself twice, once for content/organization and once for grammar. Then hire an editor, and do the same two edits again once you get feedback. Repeat this whole process 2-4 more times, or until you're satisfied (whichever comes later).

Publishers only want 100% finished work, so don't submit anything other than a final version. You can make (very) minor corrections, but any change more than a few words long costs the publisher time and money, so you might not get it.
>>
Would also like to know how to get into contact with publishers.
>>
>>9199865
Print out important drafts.
If it gets deleted you'll have to type it all up again, which will help the editing process.
That might actually just be a good thing to do.
>>
File: 1311646495544.gif (192KB, 372x369px) Image search: [Google]
1311646495544.gif
192KB, 372x369px
>>9199796
>Measures in words and not pages
>>
>>9199796
>>9201337
it's easier to find an agent than go directly to the publisher unless it's a small press.
>>
>>9201596
Aren't agents fucking snakes?
>>
>>9199861
Is it just your philosophical meditations or is it about people that readers actually want to read about?

That sounds mean but it's an important question.
>>
>>9201631
Yes but they have their uses
>>
>>9201631

My first work of non-fiction took me three years to complete.I got it published it at a tiny publishing house and that is what will allow me to get my next book at larger house.

With non-fiction you need to start small. The big fish won't take you, aim at smaller houses after 2 or 3 more drafts and having it edited by two separate editors.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask I've worked in publishing for a few years and have one published piece of non-fiction.
>>
>>9202753
Does anyone want short stories these days, or do I have to have a finished novel? Can I potentially get them published somehow? If yes, what do I have to pay attention to?
>>
>>9202765

Short stories are still published but it's incredibly hard to find a place that will take them. Magazines like The Atlantic take a FEW short stories each year, usually they are top notch or written by someone already semi-famous. They get thousands and thousands of submissions. There are also academic journals in the English world that publish this stuff and plenty of small unknown publishing houses that take them as well.

Small independent publishing houses that have a niche in short stories is probably where you want to go. You need to come to terms with the fact that your first two or three short stories that are published will be read by maybe 5 people and are stepping stones to get your work into larger outlets like, say, The Atlantic.

This may sound terrible but you need to build a resume that will get you into a larger publishing house. My other recommendation is to go to publishing shows like Book Expo and try to make contacts in the publishing world. Most people who make it now'a'days only do so because of their contacts.

Stephen King is a good example of someone who used short stories to his advantage. He published something like 20 of them before his first novel and late in life he turned a lot of them into full length novels. Viking would not have picked him up had it not been for his short stories. However, King had a niche market which was the horror genre. And back in the late 60s/70s there were still dozens of weekly/monthly horror rags that would take any semi-well written story. Things have changed now and I'm sorry to say its harder, but not impossible.

Good luck friend! Don't give up!
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.