[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best language to learn from a /lit/erary point of view?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 4

File: lang.jpg (29KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
lang.jpg
29KB, 640x480px
I like reading litterature, and I already can speak and read Russian and English (a big chunk of literature is written in those languages). I want to learn a new language, for reading purposes.
What language with a rich literary tradition would you recommend for me?
I was considering Latin or maybe German, thank you for your help in advance :)
>>
>>9197672
Although German is quite difficult to master I think it is a beautiful language and has some of the greatest books to offer, which you can only fully appreciate in the original language. This is coming from a German native speaker. Maybe you can try some lessons on Duolingo and see how you can handle it.
>>
>>9197672
They're always the same, dude:
Philosophy: Greek & German
Poetry: Latin & Italian
Prose: French & Russian
End.
>>
THIS QUESTION GETS ASKED EVERY DAY
>>
>>9197782
agreeing with this and would vote for german or french
>>
>>9197782
This tbqh.
>>
>>9197672
English
>>
>>9197782
Add French and Danish to Philosophy, if you are interested in Existentialism.
I recommend reading Kierkegaard.
>>
>>9197782
>poetry
>latin
Wat. There are like 5 worthwhile poets in latin.
>>
>>9197809
Following your logic:
>philosophy
>greek
>Wat. There are like 3 worthwhile philosophers in greek.

Doesn't work like that.
>>
>>9197809
This.

If you want to read poetry the question is not what language you should learn, but what culture, time and country interest you.
>>
>>9197809
But a few lines of theirs are worth more than the millions of cacatae cartae of other languages' poetasters.
>>
>>9197835
>pretentious
>>
>>9197807
Learning Danish just because of Kierkegaard is silly. He has been translated brilliantly in both English and German.
>>
>>9197843
Fair point, these languages aren't that different after all
>>
>>9197835
>poetasters
lost
>>
French is the next logical step. German if you're a philosophy nerd.
>>
>>9197865
I agree, French seems logical, also for philosophy.
>>
>>9197807
I can speak Norwegian aswell so Danish is a piece of cake (I can understand it in 95% of situations). Keeping that in mind I am not so interested in existentialism, and Kierkegaard , but still thank you
>>
>>9197782
thank you for your kind honesty. also ty for advice
>>
>>9197890
You're welcome OP
>>
>>9197890
What are you leaning towards?
>>
>>9197885
I guess any of the Scandinavian languages opens up for both Danish, Norwegian and Swedish.
>>
>>9197782
This is correct, OP.

Caveat: reading the epics in the original Greek is something you should aspire to do if you're invested in poetry. Excluding this from poetry by focusing on Latin and Italian is a bit of an oversight but, generally, this anon is correct.
>>
>>9197782
Russian is a very ugly language.
>>
>>9197782
There's lots of great German and French poetry too
>>
>>9197782
>italian
>worth anyone's time
Fuck off Luigi
>>
>>9197764
My native language is Arabic. I'm learning German and finding it really easy, fun and interesting.
I've been interested in German since I was 15, so I was pretty motivated to learn it; maybe that is why I am finding it easy.
>>
>>9197943
>My native language is Arabic. I'm learning German
are you a rapefugee?
>>
>>9197949
No, I'm from Jordan.
There are no Jordanian refugees. :P
>>
>>9197925
And likewise there's lots of great Latin and Italian philosophy...

That post is a simplification, but a fair one
>>
File: 572372246135a1546275de2e.jpg (39KB, 604x496px) Image search: [Google]
572372246135a1546275de2e.jpg
39KB, 604x496px
>learned latin
Fuck that shit pham. I don't like anything except Martial and Cicero. What a waste of time
>>
>>9197963
>learns Latin before trying to read some books
Fucking retarded desu
Also, you have shit taste
>>
>>9197971
I love roman history in general so it seemed like a natural step. But fuck reading Tacitus in latin.
>>
>>9197984
Tacitus is a writer of decay, you have to enjoy tragedy and murky thoughts to like him. Did you check out Lucretius, Virgil, Ovid and Horace? And if you enjoyed Martial I suggest you Catullus
>>
>>9197912
Going to go for German. It will be most of use for me. Also Germans have their own 4chan
>>
>>9198064
Many nations have their own 4chan
>>
>>9198064
http://pastebin.com/R8QnsSqK
>>
Spanish. It's like Latin but better and you can use it for everyday things like ordering tacos or picking up chicks.

https://twitter.com/BorgesJorgeL
>>
>>9198125
>you can use it for everyday things
>everyone on the Internet is from clapistan
>>
>>9198088
Does France?
>>
>>9198132
if you are a eurofag you can use it with your Spanish neighbors, if you are in Asia you can talk to Philippines.
>>
>>9198132
i`m spanish and that's not true you murica
>>
>>9198149
http://cable6.net/
>>
If you're into a seriously deep language with many many meanings in every few letters of 'hardcore' poetry and literature(Also Quran). Then pick Arabic.
>>
>>9198167
Looks a bit dead
>>
>>9198191
The Italian one is more active

http://www.diochan.com/
>>
>>9197782
But German is best for every single one of those categories
>>
>>9198064
Don't go to Krautchan please, it's a cesspit
>>
I'm assunowadays most people know English so : (English), French, German and Ancient Greek. It's trully all you need to enjoy a lot of great works. If you want more: Russian, Italian, Spanish, Latin. It really boils down to what you are more interested in.

Personally, I would advise you to learn German and French - can't go wrong.
>>
File: mq1.jpg (20KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
mq1.jpg
20KB, 240x240px
Esperanto, not even joking.
>>
>>9197672
Chinese, so you can write translations for the biggest, untapped, and artistically starved culture of all time, and introduce over a billion people to the beauty of literature.
>>
>>9197782
>poetry
>not latin, greek, german, japanese and french
Reeee
>>
The problem with German is that everything worthwhile gets translated by people you'll never hope to surpass.
>>
Spanish or French. You can not go worng with those two.
Cervantes, Borges and the poets of the Spanish Golden Age make learning spanish worth your time. And there´s so much more than those i´ve mentioned.
>>
I can speak English and French and want to learn a third language.

Is there much literary point in learning mandarin? I mean I kinda want to get into a new alphabet, kinda torn between that or russian. Mandarin would be useful for the career I want in the future but that's a long way off. I love russian lit and would appreciate reading my favorite books as originally intended.

Or should I just be a pleb and learn spanish.
>>
>>9199999
Fucking idiot, mandarin doesn't use alphabet
>>
>>9197672
I speak American and all my literature is in American, there is no need to learn different languages when some cuck can translate them to American.
>>
>>9200238
Wow sorry it uses ching chong shitstain symbols my bad
>>
>>9199999
No, https://thelinguafranca.wordpress.com/2008/05/27/why-you-shouldnt-learn-chinese/
>>
>>9197782
Where does Korean fit into this?
>>
>>9199999
Do you just mean a new way of writing or just a new alphabet, because Mandarin doesn't use an alphabet.
>>
>>9198204
ce' anche niuchan.org
>>
>>9199999
>>9200765
http://pinyin.info/readings/texts/moser.html
http://japaneseruleof7.com/why-you-shouldnt-learn-japanese/

don't learn chink languages - it isn't worth it

>>9198381
or pay some chink already fluent in both languages $2 an hour to do it for you, or wait 5 years for your smartphone to do it for you with 99.9% accuracy
>>
>>9197672
Esperanto
>>
>>9200833
nowhere you kpop loving scum

>>9197782
for the most part, i'd say this is right.

also, advice for OP: i find that going reverse chronological is very helpful. that is, learn the earlier language and use resources in that language to learn an older language.
>>
>>9197672
Portuguese and Mandarin
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.