[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /lit/ think of Jonathan Swift?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0713.jpg (2MB, 1544x1736px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0713.jpg
2MB, 1544x1736px
What does /lit/ think of Jonathan Swift?
>>
>>9193464
He a chubby fucko
>>
a satirical god
>>
>>9193473
You say that but I never seen any of his work that wasn't stupidly obvious and heavy handed.

He was basically like the John Oliver of the 18th century
>>
Master of Satire - never been equaled. Razor-like wit, keen sense of the ludicrousness of existence, incredibly bitter - but able to temper his scorn with comedy. I've read Gulliver, Battle of the Books and A Modest Proposal - all brilliant.
>>
>>9193464
He's got a gross neck,
>>
>>9193524
>>9193473
See this is why my John Oliver analogy works so well. These pseuds don't actually find him funny or great on his own merits they just heard he's meant to be great so they fool themselves into clapping along with the crowd
>>
>>9193472
it's just babyfat
>>
>>9193524
Seconded. Tale of the Tub's good, too. Esp. if you have decent sense of the literary, political history of that time.
>>
>>9193508
>You say that but I never seen any of his work that wasn't stupidly obvious and heavy handed.
Obviously you're not going to see any of 'that' when you don't read a single fucking thing by the guy, which clearly you haven't being a dumb cunt.
>>
>>9193705
I've read A Modest Proposal, and that fact that essay length SNL gag is called great by people here doesn't motivate me to reading any more
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.