[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Sound and the Fury

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_4136.png (916KB, 512x719px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4136.png
916KB, 512x719px
Can we discuss this, /lit/? The occasional beautiful passage, but since the Quinten chapter I have very little clue who is speaking, the setting, why all the grammar and syntax is fucked, etc.

I understand some of the chaos is due to his fleshing out the stream-of-consciousness technique, but I find this book to be almost too disjointed and capricious to enjoy.

Did you like? What'd you take from it?
>>
>Did you like?
Yes
>What'd you take from it?
Family doesn't mean shit and Jason is literally /ourguy/
>>
File: hue.jpg (22KB, 219x293px) Image search: [Google]
hue.jpg
22KB, 219x293px
I enjoyed it immensely. Once you stop forcing temporal continuity it becomes a pretty easy read.

>>9193435
>Family doesn't mean shit and Jason is literally /ourguy/
lel
>mfw the "I saw red." passage
>>
>>9192282
Quentin's chapter is all him, he frequently is reminded of mundane moments with Caddy and his failed masculinity, he desires everything to be full of order and purity. When the one person he puts on a pedestal fails him it destroys every single value he had left. There's a 90% chance I'll end up just like Quentin emotionally so his whole part really got me.
>>
>>9193462
Yeah, I finished Quinten today. It was appalling heartbreaking for a few reasons. Can you explain the allusions to incest? Did he and Caddie fake incestual relations to cover up some "greater sin" of hers? And what was with the knife to her neck?
>>
>>9192282
It's a really well written, really beautiful book. It taught me that books don't have to be straightforward.

It's also about 10x easier that fucking Ulysses.

>>9193435
this tbqh
>>
>>9194585
>Can you explain the allusions to incest?
He was just lying to protect his sister's virginity or some shit
>Did he and Caddie fake incestual relations to cover up some "greater sin" of hers?
No it was just him that was lying about it
>And what was with the knife to her neck?
She wanted him to kill her or something
>>
>>9192282
I thought the first half of the book was great. Quentin's chapter is one of my favorite things I have ever read. The part with the kids fishing reminded me of the the summer I fished every day with my best friend at a nearby creek. It was heartbreaking how much Quentin cared for his sister. I can not imagine someone caring that much about any other person today. Even if you did care that much, any expression of it would be looked at as insane. I wish Faulkner had written a whole book from Quentin's perspective.
>>
>>9194585
> Can you explain the allusions to incest
Quentin is ashamed that Caddy lost her virginity, and thinks, for some reason, that if he takes the blame for it (by being the one who took her virginity) her losing her virginity will have been overshadowed, and he would have shamed the family, not her. Its all about chivalry and Southern principles.

>And what was with the knife to her neck?

Quentin thinks that Caddy is as ashamed as he, and wants to do a sort of murder-suicide deal where they die but get to be together. Caddy tells Quentin to put his hand on her heart, to show how she feels when she thinks about Dalton (her heart flutters). Caddy actually enjoys sexuality, and her mindset is more closely related to the feminist movements of the time than Quentin's.

>>9192282
> but I find this book to be almost too disjointed and capricious to enjoy.

Maybe that's the point? The whole book tackles complex social issues of the South, and Faulkner is literally forcing us to see from someone else's perspective. The Sound and The Fury is a piece of modernist literature, though, and it doesn't necessarily set out to make us hopeful; in fact, seeing from someone else's perspective is pretty damned hard.
>>
>>9195415
>I wish Faulkner had written a whole book from Quentin's perspective.

Absalom! Absalom! is what you're looking for.
>>
I didn't really like it, but I didn't know what I was in for with the stream of consciousness etc.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.