[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Speaker for the dead

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: Lit_speaker.jpg (17KB, 181x279px) Image search: [Google]
Lit_speaker.jpg
17KB, 181x279px
After reading Enders Game people told me to skip this and just read the other series. Yet after reading this I honestly feel that its the far superior book. It's slower paced but not boring and actually had some depth to it.
>>
Anytime plebs agree that something is the worst part of a pleb series it's either going to be legitimately the shittiest thing you've ever read or God-tier and too good for its audience, there is no in between.
>>
File: card's_superman2.jpg (880KB, 797x1055px) Image search: [Google]
card's_superman2.jpg
880KB, 797x1055px
>>
i haven't read a lot of Awful Spot Tard's work, but it seemed that each book i did read was about a boy who was viciously beaten by an older brother, which makes me wonder about his own childhood.
>>
>>9191381
While his later works,( the bean series where the gay man "ungays" himself) do have themes of homophobia, the Speaker series honestly has none of that. In fact, a main theme is tolerance, and there were certain points of homoerocity. Learning he was an anti-gay bigot really confused me because enders game seemed like the opposite of what a gay hater would write.
>>
>>9191206
I've never read any of Card's novels but I looked at his website one time and he seems okay. He has solid taste in movies if nothing else.
>>
>>9191393
>anti-gay bigot
Is this true? I've never read any of his novels but I've read a little bit of his writing on politics and he didn't sound bigoted. An old-fashioned conservative sure but I don't think he's the type to go revving up any gas chambers. How deep does this go? Did he just mention once that he thinks gay marriage is a bad idea or does he legitimately dislike homosexuality and homosexuals? And even then disliking stuff is okay, what does he want to do about it if he thinks it's a problem?
>>
>>9191407
It's a left leaning website, but the article should give you enough background.

http://www.salon.com/2013/05/07/sci_fi_icon_orson_scott_card_hates_fan_fiction_the_homosexual_agenda_partner/

Also when I said he was an anti-gay bigot I didn't mean gas chambers but rather dislike/hate for homosexuality ETC.
>>
>>9191407

He's a Mormon, and they're pretty strict on that stuff. There's a Mormon town named after his forebears in Alberta. Orson Scott's great-grandfather was the "Canadian Brigham Young"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardston
>>
>>9191206
I agree with you actually. Speaker is probably my favorite book of his.

Another unpopular opinion I have is that Count Zero is better written than Neuromancer. But I still love Neuromancer best.
>>
>>9191419
I have to say, the more I read of Card, and by that I mean his actual writings, not out of context quotes, or in Salon's case, not even quotes just an opinion pinned to his name along with a link which completely contradicts what they've written which they know 99/100 readers won't even open, I find him to be a compassionate, intelligent and reasonable man.

>1990: Card argued that states should keep sodomy laws on the books in order to punish unruly gays–presumably implying that the fear of breaking the law ought to keep most gay men in the closet where they belonged.

Was Salon's summary of this entire page of writing, read it and tell me you think Salon's summary is remotely fair or intelligent: http://www.nauvoo.com/library/card-hypocrites.html

All that I'm convinced of thanks to your post is that Card is indeed not a bigot and that Salon is run by at best morons and at worst vindictive hypocrites. I might actually read Ender's Game and Speaker For the Dead. They sound like simple reading so I could probably get through them quickly enough.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.