[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

my professor told me that this introductory sentence is bad:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 1457160124021s.jpg (2KB, 93x125px) Image search: [Google]
1457160124021s.jpg
2KB, 93x125px
my professor told me that this introductory sentence is bad:

It should be noted that...

he underlined "it" and said "what?"

well.. what follows "that" you fucking retard.. i see this in writing all the time, is he correct? i feel like it may be a matter of preference, just depending on what i'd like to stress. an example of some hume that i'm reading right now:

THAT POLITICS MAY BE REDUCED TO A SCIENCE

It is a question with several, whether there be any essential difference between one form of government and another....

in my professor's eyes, he'd say it should be rewritten as follows:

Whether there be any essential difference between one form of government and another is a question with several.

what should i consider when making these types of sentences?
>>
wtf are you trying to say?
>>
>>9187855

literally from the next paragraph:

It is true, those who maintain the goodness of all government consists in the goodness of the administration...

is there any noticeable difference in the way he starts his sentences and the way i started mine? is there something i'm not seeing? is this not applicable to modern usage?

from samuel johnson, impeccable prose writer:

It is justly considered as the greatest excellency of art to imitate nature...
>>
>>9187855
>It should be noted that...
Address the reader directly:
>One should note that...
>>
>>9187883

oh i see the difference now, thank you.
>>
>>9187855
Storytime professors have a hard time accepting that they aren't important and don't actually have applicable skills or useful knowledge to teach because the strongest communicators have dynamic and malleable speaking styles and improvise well with people who don't share their idealized english.
>>
>>9187855
What a fucking pathetic thread. Get back to listen to The xx
>>
"it" is unnecessary. be direct

bad: "it is often looked down on that girls wear polka dot dresses"

get rid of the floating IT
>>
>>9188169
Found the journalist ;)

That's an insult by the way.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.