[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the greatest good?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

File: NYR_3453_0111.jpg (515KB, 2130x3200px) Image search: [Google]
NYR_3453_0111.jpg
515KB, 2130x3200px
What is the greatest good?
>>
>>9187313
God.
>>
>>9187315

yes
>>
Life
>>
art
>>
>>9187313
the absence of strife.

Which begs the question: if the ultimate goal of a human being is to create an environment where they are happy and others around them are also happy (thereby supporting their happiness) then what's the difference between theists and atheists?
>>
>>9187330
Their version of what it means to be 'happy'.
>>
>>9187330
>then what's the difference between theists and atheists?

Theists believe than you cannot achieve true hapiness (or paradise) in the present fallen state of mankind.
Their first goal isn't hapiness but salvation.

There's no point in hapiness if it's achieved through vain hedonism.
>>
>>9187336
Can happiness be achieved through vain hedonism?
>>
>>9187339
For some people: yes.
>>
File: Stalin on a bike.jpg (67KB, 558x604px) Image search: [Google]
Stalin on a bike.jpg
67KB, 558x604px
>>9187313
The accruing of power and the subjugation of other men.
>>
>>9187340
Which people?
>>
>>9187344
The common whore, the modern man, people like that.
>>
>>9187339
I think so. I think people assume hedonism is inherently negative, because people automatically think of drugs and sex and alcohol.

But your pleasure as a priority can mean anything from, yes, drugs and alcohol, to going to art school, to living like a hermit, to buying a dog rescue shelter- you get my drift?

Your happiness should have priority because you're going to have to deal with it for the next 50 years. For me, this means being stubborn about what kind of job I want, being picky about the kind of people I hang out with and having the means to do my spur of the moment art projects.

As long as I have a place to live and enough food, then I don't need much else.
>>
>>9187330
I agree. Strife was one of worst MOBAs I've ever played.
>>
Altruism.
>>
A functional set of games, societal and invididual, and the absence of unnecessary suffering
>>
>>9187313
Crashing this board
>>
>>9187408
>A functional set of games, societal and invididual

/thread
>>
>>9187313

There isn't one. There isn't a strict hierarchy of good things and they don't reduce to each other. Choosing between them when they conflict requires intuition and faith, there is no satisfactory system that can help you derive the right decision in such cases.
>>
>>9187486
So goodness is relative? There is no absolute ethic? Isn't that just a lazy contemporary nihilist view?
>>
>>9187313
transcendence desu
>>
>>9187344
the whites
>>
Selflessness and service to a transpersonal ideal.
>>
File: Crush Your Enemies.gif (51KB, 522x200px) Image search: [Google]
Crush Your Enemies.gif
51KB, 522x200px
>>9187313
>>
gratitude
>>
>>9187330
If getting away from stryfe the greatest good then why is the greater good always causing it?
>>
>>9187313
harmony
>>
Philosophy as a means and an ends to achieve enlightenment and happiness.
>>
File: 1485871683762_1.png (666KB, 666x666px) Image search: [Google]
1485871683762_1.png
666KB, 666x666px
Inserting a finger up your asshole.
It may hurt a little bit for the first time, but after a while your anus will be more stretched and it will fit right in.
>>
>>9187313
I'M THE THIEF OF FIRE
>>
>>9188411
I thought this too desu
>>
>>9187330

Because don't want to actually obtain happiness besides in fleeting moments. We secretly enjoy the suffering. The pursuit.
>>
>>9187822
This.
>>
>>9187336

I keep posting this because it's so concise:

>Now we are able to rejoice that we are saved not through the immanent mechanisms of history and nature, but by grace; that God will not unite all of history’s many strands in one great synthesis, but will judge much of history false and damnable; that he will not simply reveal the sublime logic of fallen nature, but will stroke off the fetters in which creation languishes; and that, rather than showing us how the tears of a small girl suffering in the dark were necessary for the building of the Kingdom, he will instead raise her up and wipe away all tears from her eyes – and there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying, nor any pain, for the former things will have passed away, and he that sits upon the throne says, ‘Behold, I make all things new’. - The Doors of the Sea by David Bentley
>>
>>9188517

bruh...
>>
>>9188255
>(666 KB, 666x666)
Vade retro, faggot
>>
>>9187533

Actually it's a lazy contemporary view to think you can only choose between having one comprehensive system that defines all of morality and nihilism

When you say "relative" you're implying things I never said, like that morality is "relative" to your culture or to you personally, all I've said is that is there are lots of good things that you can strive for and that there is no underlying principle from which they derive their goodness, also there is no way to definitely decide which good thing should take precedence when two good things conflict
>>
>>9187313
The market.
>>
>>9187822
>service to a transpersonal ideal.
>transpersonal
>trans
>personal
What did they mean by this?
>>
>>9187879
I still prefer the name sazed
>>
>>9187330
Utopia is a pipe dream. We should try as best we can to make things good but realize that we'll never really get there. That's a tough pill to swallow for some.
>>
File: free market tomoko.png (171KB, 578x488px) Image search: [Google]
free market tomoko.png
171KB, 578x488px
>>9188666
>666
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.