[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where does one start with the romans?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: vergilius66.jpg (109KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
vergilius66.jpg
109KB, 768x1024px
Where does one start with the romans?
>>
With the Greeks
>>
>>9187121
... and end with Gibbon.
>>
Roman historians. They're all great and what they tell you is essentially fiction with some nice spin anyway, as they don't agree with each other most of the time.

Go with Plutarch, Livy, Tacitus.
Understand the history leaves you e
Better placed to understand the literature
>>
File: 1478569598723.jpg (3MB, 4800x3834px) Image search: [Google]
1478569598723.jpg
3MB, 4800x3834px
>>9187080
>>
>>9187080
Modern thought starts with Zoroaster which becomes the national religion of Persia and spreads to greek during the Achaemenid Empire. After the Pythagoreans do their thing most of the hardcore scholars didn't want to write down thoughts so historians are your best bet. After like 500 CE Skip a lot until the sack and fall of Constantinople
Oh and Pliny the elder is totally an underrated genius
>>
>>9187278
Again this meme.

You can't take seriously a chart that doesn't include Lucretius. Holy shit, Lucretius! Let's not kid ourselves, guys, c'mon
>>
>>9187126
>9185561
OH Bullshit, Gibbon is an absolute fucking bore
>>
>O Memmius, truly, and daily, slowly
>buggered me backwards with that whole tree of his.
>But, as far as I can see, your case is the same:
>now you’re stuffed by no less a circumcised cock.
>Seek out the noble ones, my friends!
>But, to you, may the gods and goddesses bring
>much evil luck, disgraces to Romulus and Remus.

so...this is the power of Roman poetry
>>
>>9187080
C. Nepos, Livy.
>>
/lit/ hates her because she's a woman but the Oxford scholar Mary Beard has an accessible and academic book called SPQR which is a good intro to their history.
>>
>>9187969
>/lit/ hates her because she's a woman
Always thought it was because SPQR is pop-narrative-history, but your analysis was deeply enlightening, thanks for you great insight, comrade.
>>
The Romans were full of debauchery and did nothing but appropriate other cultures. Everything they are known for is better found in other cultures
>>
File: pl.png (327KB, 803x610px) Image search: [Google]
pl.png
327KB, 803x610px
>>9188245
the important thing is that you're covinced
>>
One does not needs to. Romans are just retards pretending to be greeks.
>>
>>9188285
And Anglos are just retards pretending to be Romans

Yeah, nice history we got there!
>>
>>9187296

How dare you, sir!

His prose is lovely.
>>
File: Fedora.jpg (42KB, 479x720px) Image search: [Google]
Fedora.jpg
42KB, 479x720px
>>9188300
>>
>>9188245
Not law.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.