[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am two pages from finishing Gravity's Rainbow

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: The Gravitron's Parabola.png (368KB, 500x775px) Image search: [Google]
The Gravitron's Parabola.png
368KB, 500x775px
Get ready for a discussion, /lit/!
>>
>>9186666
What was your favorite scene?
>>
No response, not ever for quads?

I finished. It's done.

Some of the major themes I identified were the pairing of compliments, Pavlovian conditioning, and I think the duality of man which is a subset of the other pairing.

I'm not sure what exactly to make of the light bulb, astrology/tarot (though I think this may lend itself to Pynchon's more general theme of man implying order to chaos when it's unclear if any such order exists.), and the sea (though I suppose it could be peace and tie into Venus, a theme from V).

The artificial enhancements done to the Russian echo the plastic surgery of V as well.

I'll probably need more time to process and I also should probably read it again.
>>
>>9186756
Hard choice.

I like these a lot:
Slothrop as the Pig Hero
When Marvy gets castrated
Slothrop and tantivy fight the octopus on that kidnaps Katje.
Slothrop's pie fight with Marvy's platoon in a hot air baloon.
Prentice and Katje dance and think about the inevitability of the war's end.

There are probably more I can't remember too.
>>
>>9186782
I liked that scene where the child inspired an orgy. Or the secret message that can only be read through semen.
>>
>>9186768
i read the mystic stuff as the classic spirituality vs science in finding the 'truth' kind of meme and theres also a constant mention on contrast, duality, and binary. i think at some point roger is described as a man who "exists in between the binary" so i guess suggesting something like in the chaos of all the information and knowledge; all the 1s and 0s that is our world, there is no need to search for the 'truth' if youre content with what you have (his gf, theres a quote that goes like "they were in love, fuck the war" when describing roger and jessica (also not the initials r+j think romeo n juliet)) basically, there is a median of free space, free love where you can make your own 'truth' because neither 1s or 0s, science or spirituality can lead you to any satisfying 'truth'

theres plenty of characters and arcs that root for spirituality and science for example the aqyn's song about the khirghiz light for spirituality and franz pokler who gave up his life p much and devoted it to science
theres plenty more but these were just thoughts off the top of my head
>>
File: 1456013912053.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1456013912053.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>9186666

>dat cover

Is that real?
>>
>>9186666
>>9186887
and kinda on a different tangent i was really interested in the pokler arc and the creation of the rocket because theres a lot of biological and sexually charged language when they talk about the rocket ("fuel and oxidizer as paired opposites, male and female principles uniting in the mystical egg of the combustion chamber: creation and destruction…” 402 in the kindle edition) theres a hella lot more but thats one that really stuck out to me.

made me think of frankenstein in the perverse creation of a inbiological unalive stillbirth of a death machine. theres even the classic man is breaking nature/playing god meme; and by man i mean specifically male because all scientists working on the rocket (understandably, given the setting) were male. theres even passages specifically, deliberately, describing the lack of females like "cold womanless nights, the card and chess games, the all-male-beer-drinking sessions” 404 and the fact that pokler literally replaces his wife with the rocket “Temperatures, velocities, pressures, fin, and body… began to slip in to replace what Leni had run away from.” 401

but whats more interesting in this compared to the classic meme is that it is a stillbirth, its not alive in any sense of the word but its given this language of birth, perhaps the birth of mass destruction, the beginning of the end of human civilization as we know it is marked by this perverse inhuman but all the same creation with god-like power and status no army can defend against (and makes snese if you extrapolate to modern-day nuclear warfare because everyone has enough warheads to blow up everything and in effect fuck themselves over because of all the shit released so we are at a complete standstill nuclear-warfare-wise. it doesnt matter how much more you have, the moment you fire one, the whole world is going to shit)

sorry if it doesnt make sense just typing fast off the top of my head
>>
>>9186898
> tommy pinecone

what do u think
>>
>>9186782

>When Marvy gets castrated

how can you like that, that part disgusted the fuck out of me, I was super uncomfortable reading that
>>
>>9186898
No, but it was his shizer film name
>>
>>9187491
Marvy is an asshole. Someone steals his uniform and he thinks, maybe it'd be better not to be the major with cocaine in his pocket right now. He goes to the dressing room and finds the pig costume and says to himself something like "what would a couple of MPs want to bother an innocent little pig for?"

I don't know, it's a classic hilarious mix-up with terrible consequences and I also like how we get that interlude right before it telling us about the prostitute.
>>
>>9187491
>>9187776
imo the entire scene of marvy in the tub with the prostitute before getting castrated is hilarious. the marvy scenes are some of the funniest in the novel.
>>
>>9187805
He's definitely funny.

Some of slothrop's scenes are funnier though.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.