[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Epics thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: The_Siren.jpg (97KB, 400x621px) Image search: [Google]
The_Siren.jpg
97KB, 400x621px
I want to read a good number of the great epics over the next couple of years or so. I'm asking /lit/ for advice on the best version of each one. My interest is in finding translations that attempt to convey the feel of the original, instead of focusing solely on ease of comprehension.
- I prefer verse translations to prose translation, but it's not a deal breaker.
- I would like versions that have some annotation, but don't beat you over the head with it the way a Norton annotated does.

These are the books I'm interested in specifically:

The Odyssey (Homer's)
The Illiad and the Odyssey (Pope's)
The Metamorphoses
The Song of Roland
Beowulf
Dante's Purgatory/Paradiso/etc.
Le Morte d'Arthur
Sidney's Arcadia (A good Sidney collection would be appreciated)

Books I have already: The Illiad (Barnes and Nobles version, not terrible but not great either), the Aeneid, the Niebelungenlied, the Faerie Queene and Paradise Lost.

I'm reading these in historical order, for the most part, because each builds on those which preceded it. This is why truth to the original is necessary.

cont.
>>
For example: The Song of Roland is filled with the word "Paynim" (to mean Pagan) and descriptions of killed "Paynims" being "tipped, screaming into the pit" (hell) while the French knights that die are described as ascending to heaven.

Aside from being hilarious, this is important because Elizabethans who use this terminology are giving the reader a wink-wink nudge-nudge reference; for instance, Spenser in Book I with his three "Paynim" knights, Sansfoy, Sansjoy and Sansloy; one of which, Sansfoy, when killed is described as flitting "Whither the soules do fly of men that live amis."

If I'd read a "modernized" translation of Roland that omitted the word Paynim and the scenes of dead Saracens falling to hell, I would not get Spenser's reference; and, unfortunately, many of the translations I'm looking at on Amazon do just that.

Thus, overly modernized translations/versions are useless since my goal is to read these in relation to one another.

tl;dr: Suggestions of epics I should read that aren't on this list? In particular classical works I've omitted; I would consider non-Western epics (Gilgamesh, for instance), although they don't really fit into the "timeline" properly.

Are post-Paradise Lost attempts at the Epic like Moby Dick or Ulysses worth reading as part of this exercise?

>inb4 "stop liking what I don't like"
>>
get the Rebsamen verse translation for Beowulf, it maintains the alliteration and stress patterns from the Old English.

and absolutely NOT the Seamus Heaney version.
>>
Other good epics that you might want to check out include:
The Argonautica, Appolonius of Rhodes
The Aenead, Virgil - A spiritual successor to Homer

Also if you want I suggest picking up
"The Greek Epic Cycle" by Malcolm Davies for some information on the lost Greek epics.
>>
>>9182969
m8, he's reading pope's homer.
>>
>>9183035
>Aenead
>Appolonius
>>
>>9182813
absolutely recommend gilgamesh
>>
>>9182969
Poetry is nearly untranslatable and a translation of it is always a standalone creation. Trying to imitate stylistic of other language in your own is peak autism. Stop giving shit advice.
>>
>>9183256
nice advice
>>
I read Paradise Lost and now I'm reading the Iliad, did I fuck up? The Iliad is so much more boring compared to Paradise Lost.
>>
>>9182808
you should add this to the list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orlando_Furioso
>>
>>9182808
>The Odyssey (Homer's)
Ohh, that Odyssey!
>>
File: Te_lawrence.jpg (17KB, 220x275px) Image search: [Google]
Te_lawrence.jpg
17KB, 220x275px
Read the translation of The Odyssey that was done by an actual adventurer.
>>
File: 1486598309826.png (122KB, 452x391px) Image search: [Google]
1486598309826.png
122KB, 452x391px
Pic related
>>
>>9182969
>read Shameful Handmedown in AP Lit in high school
>absolutely hated it and it made me think Beowulf is shit
Rebsamen better redeem that celtic fuck
>>
>>9184158
yeah you did the opposite of what youre supposed to do. reverse the order, bucko but its too late and thats NOT good
>>
Please just use one 'l' in Iliad
>>
>>9187634
But its so cool
>>
>>9187634
Why tho?
>>
>>9182808
I read The Song of Roland translated by Dorothy L. Sayers about a year ago or less. It was excellent. A very good compromise between trying to be mostly accurate but still getting a very large degree of beauty out of it as well. A lot of other translators compromised entirely on accuracy except for one (whom I forget the name of).

For Beowulf I've only read the translation by John McNamara. It was alright. I'd assume there's better out there, but it wasn't bad by any means. I plan on reading more translations of it in the future. Might pick up Tolkien's.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.