[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why pursue anything that isn't hedonism?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: lightning-dark.jpg (15KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
lightning-dark.jpg
15KB, 1024x683px
Why pursue anything that isn't hedonism?
>>
Pursuing anything is hedonistic behavior.
>>
>>9182187
Because some people find the proposition "pleasure is the final Good" to be deeply unsatisfying, especially in comparison to virtue, duty, beauty, and so on.
>>
>>9182191
>>9182192

Literature's just, never seemed rewarding enough compared to the alternatives, even for finding higher aspirations like beauty, or novelty.
>>
>>9182200
Read some non-hedonist philosophers, like Kant, Rawls, Aristotle, Nietzsche, etc.
>>
I'm basically a stoic but wih a bit of hedonism mixed in
>>
I want to feel punches
>>
>>9182192
so you'd say what? that that's their pleasure?

>>9182191
this is right
>>
>>9182215
I could. I'm capable of doing so. But, why move beyond hedonism?

>>9182222
... Why?
>>
>>9182200
then don't read it dude, no one fucking cares

do what you like, don't while your time away here if you're not into it--go obey the inscrutable exhortations of your inmost
>>
>>9182187
Higher order pleasures > simple pleasures
>>
>>9182231
Well, there has to be a reason you, or most people who're on this board I assume, are so dedicated to either the medium of literature or the pursuit of higher ideas. I just want to understand it.
>>
You don't pursue hedonism, hedonism pursues you.
>>
>>9182242
As in, it's not a choice? Like, it's the lowest form of a decision I could make, therefore it's more of a cage than something I'm striving for?
>>
The only reason 'one' would/is 'skeptical' of hedonism, is its potential to shorten/degrade the life span (quantity) and (thus, and more) quality.
Threatens the sanctity.

For example, heroin addict, or alcoholic, are these examples of hedonists?
They may lose their job, lose their loved ones, and it may be the argument that what one thinks they are gaining in pleasure, does not make up for what they will lose. And it is a hedging the bets;

"yeah but not evvvverrryyonneee dies from heroin/alcohol/cigarettes/promiscuous sex"

Ok, but there are some statistics that suggest certain 'risks' as much 'rewards' as are there and thought to be there, may have equal or greater punishments.
>>
>>9182240
same could be said for /fit/ but I don't bother asking them to explain

i have a vague idea but I don't care that much

if you want to get into literature pay attention to the low end of the books that get churned up here time and time again
>>
>>9182269
By that logic, I see literature as too inefficient a method, as higher truths, at least in my current environment, weigh little, and their costs far outweigh their benefits. But, since I still want to pursue them in the abstract, I'm trying to find some driving force that invalidates this reasoning.

>>9182271
The, low end?
>>
>>9182251
>it's not a choice?
You can discover what manages to please you, you can indulge in what manages to please you, but you don't determine what manages to please you. You never had a choice.
>>
>>9182221

So what, an Epicurean?
>>
>>9182225
No, that their final ends or conception of the Good are different entirely. I don't see how you got that from my post.
>>
>>9182225
And you simply aren't educated in philosophy if you think all pursuance of a philosophical system is 'hedonist.' Primarily the outgrowth of one's Will-to-Power, sure, that's reasonable, but not pleasure.
>>
To make father proud.
>>
>>9182187
>coming to /lit/ and asking "Why?" with a whole bunch of extra words tacked on

nice job pseud 2deep4me
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.