[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In highschool creative writing class they told me to "show

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: Leto Joker.jpg (130KB, 757x505px) Image search: [Google]
Leto Joker.jpg
130KB, 757x505px
In highschool creative writing class they told me to "show not tell" but in many classic novels the author tells and doesn't show, what do?
>>
>>9172229
you are not a classic novelist.
>>
Show not tell means you should draw rather than write.
>>
>>9172229
showing takes way more words. Show the compelling/important stuff. Tell the dumb details that no one wants to wallow in.
>>
File: 1485814885324.jpg (11KB, 328x277px) Image search: [Google]
1485814885324.jpg
11KB, 328x277px
I remember my middles cool English teacher told us not to ever use "said" when writting diolouge because it's too "booring" and to instead use words like "exclaimed" "questioned" or "muttered".
>>
>>9172229
Brandon Sanderson is not a classic novelist, OP.
>>>/tv/
>>
>>9172521
That's why he/she was a teacher and not a published writer.

OP, why do you listen to these people?
>>
They are trying to get you to show evidence of writing techniques so that they can grade you.
>>
>>9172578
these are the same people that bitched about math class "lol never gun use this"
>>
>>9172587
>implying they ever used it
>>
>>9172612
you aren't learning math you are learning critical thinking and problem solving dummy
>>
>>9172545
Idk there wasn't anybody else talking about writing in my life when I was a teenager and the only books I read back then were assigned to me or were genre fiction

It wasn't until I started reading books like The Time Machine and Heart of Darkness later on that I realized that narration was more common in books considered to be "classics"
>>
>>9172229
You got meme'd.
>>
>>9172521
>"muttered"
We JK Rowling now.
>>
Do whatever the fuck you want as long as it's good. I swear to god I'm fed up with these kinds of posts.
>>
>>9172236
This. For all those who've been wondering what comes after pomo, it's not popomo, or even mo' popo, or unironic metasincerity. It's this. We shall call it pictural representationalism. Imagine the future, lads; nay, draw the future!
>>
>>9172229
Just somewhat ever the fuck they want you to do in each class. Be flexible.

Don't be *that kid* that thinks highschool is the appropriate time to be rebellious, and fuck up your future.
>>
>>9173623
i can't register your gentleman review
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.