[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Grammar thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 1402800752267.jpg (59KB, 463x355px) Image search: [Google]
1402800752267.jpg
59KB, 463x355px
I need help with English Grammar. Linguistics presumably goes in /his/, but since this is english grammar I thought it better to post here.

Which is more grammatical?
>Neither [of my shoes] is there
>Neither [of my shoes] are there

Is "Neither" plural or singular? I lean towards plural since "Zero [of my shoes] is there" sounds worse than "Zero [...] are there".

Secondly, can "I" be an object? As in "He is taller than I" vs "He is taller than me". The first sentence could also be expressed as "He is taller than I am" and have the same semantic value, but it doesn't necessarily make the first sentence wrong, does it?
>>
Start with the Greeks
>>
>>9172110
what
>>
>>9172107
[your] shoes are the subject, the verb corresponds to the subject

shoes are plural, the usage therefore is "are"

idk how to describe it in exact technical terms but that's pretty much it
>>
say I have a sentence that goes like

>...these groups of characters are isolated from the real world: group 1 is isolated [in this way]; group 2 is isolated [in this way]; group 3..
and so on. Is this okay or should I just use periods like a normal person
>>
>>9172207
i question the use of using semicolons to separate list items that are independent clauses, but that's my opinion on style. I don't believe there are any hard and fast rules that prohibit it
>>
>>9172110
more like start with the romans
>>
>>9172187
So Neither always acts as a Determiner and never as a Noun head?
>>
>>9172246
agreed
>>
>>9172246
>Start with the Romans
>Not resume with the Romans
Are you new?
>>
>>9172107
is
>>
>>9172107
Would you say "neither of both are"? Of course not, it sounds retarded. It is always " is", boyo.
>>
>>9172632
you should never shorthand your dog folder...
>>
>>9173670
Although you're right, you should at least know the reason why it's so
>>
>>9173710
>implying grammar has something to do with reason
>>
>>9172110

Lol
>>
>>9172246
Oh dear.

>>9172110
Good point.

>>9172107
Homework goes somewhere other than 4chan like reddit.
>>
>>9173670
>neither of both
I don't think you can have neither of both. Neither of either.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.