[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rituals

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: ritual.png (1MB, 1020x680px) Image search: [Google]
ritual.png
1MB, 1020x680px
I'm looking for books (fiction or nonfiction) about rituals, ideally very specific descriptions of some ritual.
e.g.
I liked Mishima's description of young couple and a tea ceremony with added breast milk.
I like prehistory and the medieval church's fight against pagan rituals in rural areas.

But I mostly find books about 'theory of rituals' or horrible trash along the lines of 'handshakes as modern rituals..'

any novels or even anthropological field work?
>>
>>9170175

Mo Hayder is always cool. This one is about "muti".

There's a few pages on aztec rituals in Bataille's The Accursed Share, but the general purpose is much larger (ethnological-economical-philosophical theory of the unnecessary).
>>
Anathem by neal Stevenson. Full of religious rituals.
>>
Maybe the book of Rites by Confucius
Confucianism is heavy on rituals
>>
File: groan.jpg (356KB, 700x1117px) Image search: [Google]
groan.jpg
356KB, 700x1117px
>>9170175
Not even memeing you, son. Ritual is the center of the entire book.
>>
>rituals
>cees nooteboom
>>
>>9170175
Read Clifford Geertz`s studies on Balinese cock fights and the theatre state.
>>
>>9170175
I've got this fucked up VHS called "Axe Fight", its an anthropological video from the Amazon. Two groups, related 5 generations back, have a dispute over who has access to the river, after some women harras some other women. a bunch of dudes in loincloths holding axes stand off and shout at each other, until finally they start fighting and a dude gets axed in the chest.

The video shows it twice, once without commentary, then a second time with the anthropologist explaining the conflict. Then he goes over the family tree and how the dispute was resolved by the tribal elders.

Craziest thing I own for sure. Got it from a book sale at my Uni's library. Couldn't resist a mysterious VHS labeled, AXE FIGHT in sharpie. Been meaning to upload it, but I don't have the tech to transfer VHS to digital format.
>>
>>9172057
huh, maybe I shouldn't upload, never thought to google it before, but they're charging 150 dollars for it. There's a preview, but sadly none of the anthropological commentary which is why I was suggesting it.

http://www.der.org/films/ax-fight.html
>>
>>9172057
There are companies that will do it for a fee
>>
File: 20170228_193517.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170228_193517.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>9170175
The Golden Bough, George Frazer
Rites and Symbols of Initiation, Mircea Eliade
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.