[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /lit/, New to the whole recreational reading thing - longtime

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 3

File: guy fieri.jpg (921KB, 1800x2400px) Image search: [Google]
guy fieri.jpg
921KB, 1800x2400px
Hey /lit/,

New to the whole recreational reading thing - longtime /mu/ lurker - music's always been more of my cup of tea.

I'm considering reading Infinite Jest. Does this board have an opinion on it?
>>
>>9169270
is he putting ketchup on his muesli?
>>
>>9169275
I think so.
>>
>Hey /mu/,

>New to the whole recreational listening thing - longtime /lit/ lurker - literature's always been more of my cup of tea.

>I'm considering listening to Merzbox. Does this board have an opinion on it?

You're just another teenage retard who desperately tries to be patrishun on the internet. Start with the Greeks or kys yourself.
>>
>>9169270
yeah it's a waste of time for anyone who hasn't read hundreds of books senpai.
>>
>>9169286
Well, I'm a 23-year-old law student, so I guess you're a bit wrong there.

Thanks for the good advice, dickhead. Just trying to give myself a good summer read to look forward to before heading back for my third year. I figured a thousand-word book with pretty good acclaim is a solid place to start.
>>
File: nathanforyou.jpg (46KB, 360x338px) Image search: [Google]
nathanforyou.jpg
46KB, 360x338px
>>9169290
>I figured a thousand-word book with pretty good acclaim is a solid place to start.
>thousand-word book
mfw when you get someone 20 years of community service instead of 20 weeks.
>>
>>9169290
What school?
>>
>>9169300
Lmao. Good catch. I'll be doing corporate transactional work instead - not sending people to jail.

Your instant pettiness and lack of understanding of how the legal profession is more than just sending people to jail shows your age. Let me know how high school ends up for you.
>>
>>9169270
No, it's a meme.

Start with Crime & Punishment.
>>
>>9169290
>he's still a naive teenager at 23
Starting with IJ is like learning algebraic topology before you understand basic arithmetic.
>>
>>9169307
>damage control
>call him a high schooler!
baka tbqh, f a m
>>
>>9169307
>overreacts to a simple jovial remark
>Your instant pettiness shows your age
You should have stayed on /mu/.
>>
>>9169315
I don't know much about the book other than its universal acclaim, disorienting nature, and that there's a great movie based off the author.

Thank you for being one of the first people in here to actually give a recommendation. Did not realize it was considered to be THAT complex. Probably the equivalent of having a person looking for some indie rock recs and ending up with a Sun O))) record in their hands.
>>
>>9169304
I'd rather not say for anonymity purposes - because I'm the youngest person in my class and it could give it away. It's a lower first-tier Midwestern school.
>>
>>9169330
>Sun O)))
Get out, philistine pseud.
>>
>>9169328
I'm just looking for advice on the question I asked. If somebody new to the music realm asked for recommendations on /mu/, I wouldn't berate them about their question - but would try to help.
>>
>>9169342
>I'm the youngest person in my class and it could give it away
Nobody had this information before you said it. Must be a great school to let in such brilliant young men.
>>
>>9169351
I said my age - which is pretty known. The median age of incoming law students for most schools is 27. If I revealed my school, people would have easily put two and two together as to who's posting. Not worth the risk, but I appreciate the back-handed compliment. Hopefully your english BA leads to meaningful employment.
>>
File: 1484792408317.gif (993KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1484792408317.gif
993KB, 250x250px
>>9169351
>>9169349
You're right, I'm sorry. Start with Finnigans Wake
>>
Start with the Greeks.
>>
>>9169362
>on lit everyone who replies to me is an English major
Impeccable reasoning. You don't sound petty and assblasted at all, fampai.
>>
>>9169388
Just making an educated guess. Your lack of denial and butthurt leads me to believe that it's true, or pretty close.
>>
>>9169351
Yeah, you really shouldn't talk shit when you have no clue what you're talking about. Law schools are extremely small communities where typically everyone knows everyone else. Everyone knew who the youngest person was in ny law school class and also knew I was the second-youngest. A 23 year old 2L certainly stands out.
>>
>>9169270
hey guys

im totally new to this whole artform

do you think i should start with some postmodern metafiction

i heard it was really good

i can skip the entry level stuff btw, im like the youngest at my law school and i listen to sunn O)))
>>
>>9169404
Thanks for the good advice, dickhead. Your instant pettiness and lack of understanding of how intelligent I am shows your age. Hopefully your english BA leads to meaningful employment. Let me know how high school ends up for you.
>>
>>9169404
I actually despise Sun O))), not a big drone fan. Was just rattling off the first person that came to my head and has a notorious reputation for making extremely complex work.

Also "extremely new to this whole artform" is a stretch, but I'll definitely admit that I'm green when it comes to knowing meaningful literary sources outside of what's been given to me through my schooling - hence why I was asking for advice.

Seems like this board is as cancerous as /mu/. I ask about one specific book that I don't know much about, and then I'm told to either "start with the Greeks" from ground zero, or am insulted based off assumptions about me. Try to be less of a shitty person and pay forward advice and recommendations about your passion - not dissuade people from joining in on it.
>>
>>9169270
Hey, guys. I'm trying to be a lawyer but can't use an archive. Please feed me. Thanks ^^~
>>
>>9169315
Bullshit, even retarded kids can read IJ
>>
>>9169424
My C&P recc was great.
>>
>>9169424
There is a link to /lit/-wiki in the sticky, which has a separate article for IJ. People are absolutely right to mock you for your lawyer coolstories coupled with inability to find basic info.
>>
>>9169424
??

cancerous?

heh... nothin personnel kid

just dont like pseuds who shit up our VERY HIGH QUALITY board like its a
help desk and then screech about it when they dont get their way

go away brainlet
>>
>>9169424
Why should I?
>>
>>9169439
Yeah I second this.
>>
>>9169448
Just felt like rebutting the presumption that I'm a "another teenage retard who desperately tries to be patrishun on the internet." If that leads to mocking, so be it.

I wouldn't expect a newcomer to peruse the sticky of /mu/ to look for thoughts on one specific album/artist that they were interested in, but would rather hear the thoughts of the board - and recommendations if the book/album/art/whatever was considered to be "beyond entry-level", or what-have-you.

I've read three articles about the book already, hence why I wound up posting here - to hear some real-time feedback.
>>
>>9169424
Sunn O))) is not at all complex
>>
>>9169469
What were the last 3 books you've read?
>>
>>9169471
I agree that his formula is basic, but I meant moreso a challenging listen. Weak phrasing on my end, I guess.

If a girl you liked asked for recommendations about music to listen to, you'd recommend some accessible dream pop, not Sunn O))) - was the point I was trying to make.
>>
>>9169485
lol

uses "complex" and "wouldn't show it to a girl because its kinda weird" interchangably

confirmed for knowing nothing about music either
>>
>>9169481
Well, they were all from the 33 1/3 series - which are written by music writers about the construction of specific albums - so excluding that series:
-The last 3 books of the A Song of Ice and Fire series - I'm sure I'll get shit for it on this board. Was just a fan of the show and enjoyed reading more on the background, although I feel that GRRM is a shitty writer.
>>
>>9169499
You choose to spend your day arguing about semantics instead of talking about what I assume to be your passion - literature.
>>
>>9169500
Go on Amazon and read the first few pages to see if you like it.
Anyone can read it, but if you haven't read much you might not understand what's going on or you might not enjoy it.
Lots of people that like reading for fun read for prose and can enjoy reading dozens of pages in a row describing the anatomy of a whale.
>>
>>9169452
"Pseuds" - I don't proclaim to be an intellectual at all. In fact, the only thing I've done was admit how little I know about literature - hence the asking for advice.

I'm not demanding advice like it's a "help desk", but am looking for people who want to discuss the book. If it doesn't appeal to you, then I'm curious as to why you're posting.
>>
>>9169504
Why would anyone want to discuss literature with you?

IJ is a good book. You will be able to read at and understand it. Go for it.

Now, please, do us and mutants a favour and increase the average intelligence of both boards by fucking off back to /mu/.
>>
>>9169522
Will do - didn't realize I could read the first few pages, and if it would give me a strong impression. Much appreciated.
>>
>>9169525
>looking for people who want to discuss the book i haven't read
did you get a mental disability scholarship or something?
>>
>>9169500
Hi /mu/ wanted to get into music. What are your thoughts of the critically acclaimed album Aeroplane Seaman ?
>>
>>9169424
Probably the worst book to bring up...
Basically its a fucking strain to read and flows horribly, it's just something to sit on the bookshelf to make morons feel good. I'd recommend The Recognitions instead, perfect place to start.
>>
Anyone who's already in law school at 22 should skip this plebbit tier memery and start with Finnegans Wake.
>>
>>9169504
our passion for /lit/ and arguing semantics actually go hand in hand, faggot.
>>
start with the FUCKING greeks
>>
>>9169552
>90% dialogue in a multitude of languages without translations, with references almost every philosopher/theologian/writer/artist in an update on the story of Faust taking place in post war NYC.
>START HERE
If a joke 9/10
>>
There is literally a sticky on the front page.

Fuck off and kys yourself.
>>
>>9169270
Since you're new to reading, I think you should make sure it's something you enjoy before you take it seriously. You'll probably get turned off of literature if you start with the Greeks. Pick up some fiction from the big Russian authors, those are as entertaining as they are thought-provoking. If you delve straight into postmodern authors you'll end up thinking that they're terribly written and everything meaningful about the books will soar over your head. When you've read some good stuff and you've developed a bit of an ego, move on to the Greeks.
As someone already mentioned, C&P is good. You could also go for some Tolstoy, in which case Anna Karenina would be a good place to start. If you're daunted by "big" books, you've got Pushkin, Gogol, and Chekhov to read. I'm pretty sure this thread is just bait though, you've been acting like a faggot all throughout the thread.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.