[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gravity’s Rainbow Support/Collaboration Thread.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: AdMaioremDeiGloriam.jpg (58KB, 1024x393px) Image search: [Google]
AdMaioremDeiGloriam.jpg
58KB, 1024x393px
Every day until you read it.

Are you reading Gravity’s Rainbow? Have you started and then stopped out of frustration, confusion, laziness? Have questions about the plot, themes, context, references? Want input on interpreting a specific\section of text? Think the book is a big bullshit meme? Think Pynchon is for hipsters? Haven’t ever touched the book but are curious?

Well, then this is the thread for you! I will field any questions you have and share with you all that I know about this fascinating, beautiful, and terrifying work.

I haven’t read GR in a couple of years, but I’m about to start another read through. I’ve read the first 200-200 pages many more times than I’ve read the last 400 or so. There are probably about 40 pages of really, really difficult material, some of which I still can’t parse, but I’ll give you my impression of whatever. The best thing you can do is to jump in and feel like you’re drowning. I first peeked at the book when I was 17/18 and didn’t finish it till I was 25/26. Also, make sure GR is your first Pynchon novel; don’t try and “ease into it” with 49 or Vineland.

I will accept nothing but the total conversion of the browsing population.
>>
To the guy in the last thread who had a question about a tarot passage involving the King of Cups, I was thinking about a totally different passage more in the center of the book.

If you post the page numb though I'll read it and give you my impression.
>>
>>9167723
>Think the book is a big bullshit meme? Think Pynchon is for hipsters?
But both of these assertions are true and self-feeding. Few if any people still read it for any literary value it might have but rather as a bragging by a group of people who revel in the "undergroundness" while clearly only having parse it and read the wiki site. Why make a thread to encourage these insufferable cunts to ask questions so they can fake having read the book and act smugly superior to everyone else?
>>
Is British candy really as bad as Slothrop made it seem? Also the chapter about Blicero and katje and the oven thing seemed to last forever.
>>
Yo, I had a question that I talked about in a different thread but I'll put it here as well. I started re-reading GR recently and I noticed a line involving the first scene with Pirate shares similar wording to the final Slothrop scene.

>"“Pirate in the lavatory stands pissing, without a thought in his head.”

>“Slothrop sees a very thick rainbow here, a stout rainbow cock driven down out of pubic clouds into Earth, green wet valleyed Earth, and his chest fills and he stands crying, not a thing in his head, just feeling natural. . . .”

The 'not a thing in his head' and 'without a thought in his head' is what stood out to me. I was thinking that these two scenes might be related in some way because of this, or I might be thinking too much into it. I thought that these two scenes could be related as the opening scene is Pirate seeing a V2's trail and the final Slothrop scene is him noticing a rainbow being 'driven down'. Not so much an overt connection but rather a thematic one I was thinking.
>>
I've stopped about halfway through so i could finish M&D

hopefully i can finish it by the end of the year.

i think slothrop's just dug up the hash and seen mickey rooney (?) on the balcony of the "White House" or whatever
>>
>>9167757
I can think of no one in my life who even knows of this book aside from me and the anonymous people I interact with through the internet.

I'd rather a hundred hipsters go meme-branging than one true potential fan suffer preterition.

>>9167775
Dude that is the best chapter. Honestly maybe my favorite in the whole book. The Frans van der Groov part is one of the best moments in literature in my opinion, on par with anything Joyce has done. I couldn't say about the candy.
>>
i want to reread gravity's rainbow but it's hard to justify rereading an 800 page dense as fuck novel when there are so many things i still haven't read

it would be worth it though, i just can't motivate
>>
>>9167886
Pynchon has a lot of turns of phrases that he reuses throughout the book. I never thought of them as intentional; I just figured if you wrote 800 pages of material in ten or so years you'd repeat yourself at times. But that specific one does seem weirdly intentional, especially with the double parabola bridging the two continents and the whole of the book itself.

>>9167912
Slothrop In the Zone can get kind of boring. Just in general Slothrop isn't as intense a character as Blicero or Katje or Pointsman or Pokler.

I really like M&D. If any other author had written it I would probably put it right up there with GR, but despite how good it is I just keep wanting it to be as intense as GR. I'ts really beautiful but such a milder, softer kind book.
>>
>>9168023
You should. I've never found a reread to be unrewarding. Every time I'm amazed at how much I missed.
>>
this thread makes me wish I'd never read the book.
>>
>>9168079
I do what I can.
>>
File: Capture.png (85KB, 673x791px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
85KB, 673x791px
>He needs help with Pynchon

He's actually pretty straightforward if your vocabulary ain't shit
>>
>>9167723
Some questions off the top of my head:

Why did Slothrop and Tchitcherine swap clothes during the escape?

Why did Tchitcherine want to kill Enzian? He said something about feeling 'passed over' but that didn't feel like an explanation to me.
>>
>>9168997
OK, maybe I understand Tchitcherine a bit. His dad left for Enzian's mom, IIRC
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.