[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you like Omar Khayyam, friends?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: omar khayyam.jpg (931KB, 990x1464px) Image search: [Google]
omar khayyam.jpg
931KB, 990x1464px
Do you like Omar Khayyam, friends?
>>
>>9166669
Haven't read any, but I want to. Have any recs?
>>
>>9166669
i dont read terrorists, sorry
>>
been meaning to read his rubiyat or whatever it's called
>>
>>9166669
Definitely! I just got this book called "Persian Poets," so I've been reading a lot of his stuff lately. Very beautiful language.
>>
>>9166669
Wasn't he mostly a hack and his poetry was so altered by his first English translator that it became something new entirely? I remember reading something like that ages ago.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdmAM0abahs
>>
>>9168221
He's great, but Fitzgerald's translations aren't accurate and it's generally recommended to get the second edition translation because his later reworkings get even worse. I've never heard anyone complain he was a hack, but, to be fair, people tend to get intimidated if you write beautiful poetry while also composing calendars and most of calculus.

I guess you could make the argument Fitzgerald was a hack, but his translation (again, the second one) does create something new by introducing plot and changing meanings in places. It's not better than the original or a terribly good guide to the original, but it's not like it's as bad as his 5th version.
>>
>>9168221
the sentiment of his work is wonderful
>>
>>9168725
>>9168882
Right, so which translation would you lads recommend? There must be other ones than this Fitzgerald guy's, I reckon.

Are you saying that his text, while not a faithful translation, is worth reading nevertheless as a work on its own, sort of like Pope's Iliad? His second edition, to be precise.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.