[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does literary history know any examples of authors willingly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: nich5555555.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
nich5555555.gif
2MB, 500x281px
Does literary history know any examples of authors willingly 'updating' their works, or perhaps reworking them from ground up? Why is it such a rare thing? Artistic pride/embarrassment to admit that you didn't do the best job?
Personally I'd love to read several versions of the same idea to see a sort of pursuit of perfection
>>
does A Brave New World Revisited count?
>>
>>9165943
Lots of poets do this, Walt Whitman being an example that readily comes to mind. There are a few versions of leaves of grass.
>>
I would imagine publishing companies might serve as an obstacle for this as well.
>>
>>9165943
I might not remember it correctly but I think F Scott Fitzgerald updated his works regularly
>>
>>9166088
Auden edited many of his earlier poems when he was older. He pretty much made all of them worse and poisoned those collections, but hey
>>
>During the same years I was constantly watching the work of my father and mother, and the other professional painters who frequented their house, and constantly trying to imitate them; so that I learned to think of a picture not as a finished product exposed for the admiration of virtuosi, but as the visible record, lying about the house, of an attempt to solve a definite problem in painting, so far as the attempt has gone. I learned what some critics and aestheticians never know to the end of their
lives, that no 'work of art' is ever finished, so that in that sense of the phrase there is no such thing as a 'work of art' at all. Work ceases upon the picture or manuscript, not because it is finished, but because sending-in day is at hand, or because the printer is clamorous for copy, or because 'I am sick of working at this thing' or 'I can't see what more I can do to it'.

Virgil constantly updated the Aeneid and wanted to destroy it
>>
>>9165943
Tolkien did that, in the earliest version of The Hobbit Gollum just gives the ring to Bilbo, after he bests him in the riddle competition.
>>
The Bible
>>
>>9165943
Augustine's Retractions

also this >>9166088

>>9166263
*cringe*
>>
>>9166088
Any examples of various editions? I'm not finding anythng in google
>>
>>9166527
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaves_of_Grass#Republications
>>
>>9165943
Leonard Cohen updated the first poem in his book Book of Longing

Originally it was
"I followed the course
From chaos to art
My dick was the horse
And my life was the cart"

And he changed it to
"I followed the course
From chaos to art
Depression the horse
And desire the cart"

At first I thought he was censored by the publisher but that wasn't the case
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.