[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who are some philosophers that completely shut down hedonism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: hairyman.jpg (53KB, 418x700px) Image search: [Google]
hairyman.jpg
53KB, 418x700px
Who are some philosophers that completely shut down hedonism and libertines?

If not philosophers to name, what are works that argue against a life of pleasure?

Should note that I am not hedonistic.
>>
File: Painting_of_Christ.jpg (367KB, 1100x2127px) Image search: [Google]
Painting_of_Christ.jpg
367KB, 1100x2127px
Are you saying a life of pleasure is unwarranted?

Or, that excessive pleasure is negative?
>>
>>9164687
The latter
>>
>>9164332
>Who are some philosophers that completely shut down hedonism and libertines?
Almost all of them.
>>
>>9164766
this
>>
>>9164332

Pick a primer on the Cynics, like William Desmond's or the Penguin collection.

Diogenes of Sinope
Crates of Thebes

You essentially want to read anything that has a relation to ascetics. There are also a lot on Indian texts on the matter, but I can't quite give advice on that.

Also look up gymnsophists, sadhus, and rishis.
>>
>>9164728
Also, I don't think even philosophers that are typically considered "hedonists", such as Epicurus, Bentham, or Mill, would argue that a life of excessive pleasure is good. Well perhaps Bentham, but even then, I'd argue the contrary.
This is very very short, if you want to hear it from a hedonist before you attack him.
http://classics.mit.edu/Epicurus/menoec.html

Nozick argued against hedonism with his shitty pleasure machine thought experiment, if you're interested in it:
http://www.uky.edu/~mwa229/RobertNozickTheExperienceMachine.pdf

I can't find a real excerpt - or I'm not bothered to look for one because idgaf.
>>
>>9164332

DFW

you can't hate me because its true
>>
>>9164838
DFW is basically a fairly decent existentialist. So you are actually right.
>>
>>9164332
Stirner is the best. He's a meme for a reason -- he's easily repeatable and simple to understand (even if some people still manage not to).
>>
>>9164332
>what shuts down hedonism?
>oh btw I'm not a hedonist
Well hopefully you know, faggot. If you don't then why aren't you a hedonist?
>>
>>9164863
I mean I have my own personal set of beliefs, but I'm sure they're easily refuted by a proclaimed hedonist.

>>9164796
>>9164832
very useful

>>9164857
which work in specific?
>>
>>9164945
>which work in specific?
Ego and His Own. The other stuff is either his meandering about stuff that's covered in the Ego, or an explanation of Ego to people too stupid to grasp it.
>>
While not a philosopher read up on St Francis of Assisi. He rejected a hedonistic lifestyle to become a friar and did all sorts of stuff such as read bible passages to animals and he nearly walked through a bonfire in order to convert a Muslim warlord.
>>
Aldous Huxley :^)
>>
>>9164332
>Who are some philosophers that completely shut down hedonism and libertines?
Almost all of them. Not even kidding, almost all of them.
>>
File: 1488153206872.jpg (232KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1488153206872.jpg
232KB, 1500x1000px
>>9164857
>Stirner
>Egoist
>Shutting down hedonism
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.