[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Classic Chinese Literature

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: Journey to the West medium size.jpg (200KB, 576x547px) Image search: [Google]
Journey to the West medium size.jpg
200KB, 576x547px
Anyone ever read Journey to the West? Which is the best version?
I've heard lots of people say Arthur Waley's abridged version is best because it cuts out a lot of the monster-of-the-week filler, but I've also heard people say Waley's interpretation of Tripitaka is completely flawed and to go with Anthony Yu's translation instead.

Also what's the best version of Romance of the Three Kingdoms? A new translation just came out in 2014 but I haven't heard anyone compare it to Robert's version so I don't know which one to get
>>
>>9164231
I have both Monkey and the 3 volume green chinese classics version, which has very thin pages, and feels a bit like a manga. I've read about 1/3 of Monkey, and loved it, but wanted to go ahead and read the whole thing. I also grabbed Outlaws of the Marsh, but just went ahead with an abridgement with that. I have a cool site that shows all the 108 stars from the story, really cool shit:
http://www.kuniyoshiproject.com/The%20108%20Heroes%20of%20the%20Popular%20Suikoden,%20Part%20I.htm

also, you might look into "tales from a chinese studio". but all in all, the ultra-meme, epic master tier book of ancient china, is apparently "The Investiture of the Gods". the only translations I can find are one that's just an inferior work, and is damned by the very few reviews I could find, then, an extremely expensive edition, that seems to be a somewhat better translation, though no reviews to confirm this are available. Oh and another thing, there was a guy who wrote a sort of fantasy novel series, starting with the book "bridge of birds" by barry hughart. I haven't gotten around to any of this stuff, since I end up researching more than I actually read, but this should be at least a good head start to some of the stuff available.
>>
eh i guess i shouldn't have bothered lol
>>
>>9164248
>I end up researching more than I actually read

I fall into the same rut. I guess I should stop fretting and just read one. I'm just gonna go to the library and see what versions they got.

About that The Investiture of the Gods book you mentioned, the only copies I can find are by Katherine Chew. Is that the shitty version you mentioned? I probably won't get around to reading it until after JTTW, that's at the top of my list right now
>>
>>9164349
https://www.amazon.com/Creation-Gods-Library-Chinese-Classics/dp/7800054861
like that, i mean. shit's expensive for a proper version. but yeah, just grab a copy and enjoy, it's a bit quaint and repetitive. You're just lucky you didn't go out and grab a copy of Morgante, or The Anatomy of Melancholy on a whim, and now are stuck with books you're too much of a pleb to ever read.
>>
>>9164248
>chinese classics version
They have the best versions but yeah, the physical quality is pretty shitty. Chink tale publishing is so bad.
>>
>>9164248
>epic master tier book of ancient china
It's Ming dynasty, not ancient.
>>
>>9164556
hmph. well whatever, i was juss tryntahelp
>>
bumping this
>>
File: tripitaka.jpg (18KB, 389x312px) Image search: [Google]
tripitaka.jpg
18KB, 389x312px
the television show "Monkey" is better.

"It is a far, far better thing that I do now.. than YOU ever did."
>>
>>9164231
dragonball is better than dragonball z, everyone knows this
>>
File: chinese.jpg (3MB, 3393x3598px) Image search: [Google]
chinese.jpg
3MB, 3393x3598px
>>9166782
The cartoon is also really great. And if you want to practice Mandarin it's not that difficult in it (maybe for the opening) and will probably verse you on a ton of common idiom.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g76NI4FUyRg

And the 2010 Three Kingoms is probably the greatest adaptation for RoTK. There are plenty of adaptations for Dream of the Red Mansions/Chamber, but I would direct you to 1987 one but more so to the book more than any of the others I've mentioned. And I do recall watching a show for Water Margin in my youth but it didn't leave an impression on me
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.