[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Meditation and Mindfulness

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

Dear /lit/,

What is the best place to start reading about mindfulness and meditation?

I have literally no fucking clue about this stuff.
>>
Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind
>>
File: guru10.jpg (44KB, 200x242px) Image search: [Google]
guru10.jpg
44KB, 200x242px
Avoid all Scientism guides to meditation.

Initiate with the Indians
>>
>>9162475
I dont even know the distinction between the two.

>>9162480
What makes you say that? My gut feeling tells me much of what these people write in the way of scientism is just bait to cater to the western uni crowd. Is that it? Again, I have to profess my ignorance here..
>>
>>9162492
The whatness of mindfulness and meditation is not the chemical or phenomenal. As a general rule people that write books like this want to have their cake and eat it too by destroying the spiritualism of meditation while maintaining spiritual experience from a scientific viewpoint.
>>
>>9162524
oh ok, i dont really give a fuck about that desu.
>>
Thich Nhat Hanh would be a great place to start. "Miracle of Mindfulness" or "Peace in Every Step" would probably be the best.
>>
just close your eyes and breathe slowly

the medical advantages of meditation are real, the spiritual practices are unnecessary trappings unless you want to roleplay as a vishnu worshipper or a buddhist
>>
>>9162533
*tips fedora*
>>
No one meditates--
>>
>>9162537
ok, mr. white buddhist, you're not cringeworthy at all
>>
>>9162477
Solid post. It has a lot of the ideas behind meditation and zen as well.
>>
>>9162549
Meditation isn't something exclusively Eastern. But since you specifically targeted "spiritualism" as a bad thing when OP is asking for meditation as means of spiritualism, it shows me you're an edgy atheist.
>>
>>9162469
You posted it yourself
The mind illuminated is quite a complete guide, it covers materials for beginners in a very digestible way. I can't talk about the advanced topics because, well, I haven't reached them.
>>
>>9162601
This. Culadasa's book is one of the best books about the subject, by far
>>
read Hegel and Heidegger deeply then go read Nishitani and die

stay away from western "guides" and buddhist canon
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.