[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some books that will teach me the value of self discipline?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1488022591856.png (3MB, 834x1285px) Image search: [Google]
1488022591856.png
3MB, 834x1285px
What are some books that will teach me the value of self discipline?
>>
initiation into hermetics
>>
meditations by Marcus Aurelius
>>
>>9162284
Do you mean "self-discipline" as voluntary genuflection before an altar, or as the ability to use your own focus?

Diogenes was way more of a hardass than St. Lawrence, aside from the whole parable about "actually roast the other side of my ass." I mean, he was a fucking slave for quite a while, and not just to his ideas, but a person physically compelled to servitude.

Also, dig that tale about the apple thief. Fuck determinism and fatalism. And the public masturbation dialogue.
>>
>>9162393
I'm looking for books that will guide me in the ability to control one's feelings and overcome one's weaknesses; the ability to pursue what one thinks is right despite temptations to abandon it.
>>
I learned the value of self discipline only after getting burnout of my dyonisian teen years
The fact that you are searching for books on the subject means that you already know it's value, now just practice discipline in your life
>>
>the value of...

Funny
>>
anything by Seneca
>>
The Brothers Karamazov did this for me. Probably Kierkegaard's The Sickness Unto Death too. He had psychology all figured out in this book way before Freud, but he was a bit too obscure about it.

There are people who wake up every day, and unwillingly to be who they are. You need to willingly "be" who you are.

>"In relating itself to itself, and in willing to be itself, the self rests transparently in the power that established it."

When you truly understand what this quote means, your life will be changed.
>>
>>9164132
Is it trying to say that by being yourself, you will be lead by the power (God) that established you?
>>
>>9162434
>the ability to control one's feelings
This just isn't really a thing. Asides from the fact that with the advances of psychology and neuroscience we know it to be impossible I can't really bring anything to mind which advocates that anyway. Buddhism, Daoism, Christianity, Aristotelianism, Epicureanism, and most forms of Stoicism don't believe it is possible either.
>inb4 but stoicism is all about controlling your emotions
We are getting into the problem here that our word emotion has no close analogue for the ancient Greeks nor do either of us have concepts in common that make for easy translation. So most people who make this claim are basing their knowledge based on misunderstandings that arise by reading translations. You could make a case that there are some stoics who believe this but definitely not all.
>>
>>9162284
Meditation/mindful meditation and learning to release your muscle tensions all the time is literally it.
>>
>>9162284
I love that painting
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.