[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some good introductions to gnosticism?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8

File: gnosis.png (782KB, 650x488px) Image search: [Google]
gnosis.png
782KB, 650x488px
What are some good introductions to gnosticism?
>>
>>9162087
Manly P Hall
>>
>>9162087
I. P. Freely
>>
Rosenkreuz or bust
>>
the best one is where the Pope sends an army to kill you and all of your friends because he believes you are truly damned.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waldensians
>>
>>9163010
why did they kill all the cool denominations?
>>
>>9163063
Catholic Church protecting their money and political power.
>>
>>9163143
or the souls of millions who might be seduced by something solely on its uniqueness
>>
>>9162087
Gurdjieff
>>
File: cathar cross.png (8KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
cathar cross.png
8KB, 220x220px
>>9163150
get woke anon
>>
>be a tribalist
>Your tribe gets cucked
>become a dissapointed tribalist
>swear off "materiality"
Theres your starter pack
>>
There isn't any, Gnosticism is a Christian meme and doesn't exist in actuality.
>>
>>9163168
Hello Gurdjieff friend
>>
File: 1421016675925.jpg (3MB, 3375x2701px) Image search: [Google]
1421016675925.jpg
3MB, 3375x2701px
>>9163181
imhotep
>>
File: suc.jpg (221KB, 830x644px) Image search: [Google]
suc.jpg
221KB, 830x644px
>>9163179
t. uninitiated exoterist
>>
>>9163200
That's a pretty widely accepted academic theory though, the concept of Gnosticism is so vague, undefined and underdeveloped pretty much any religion fulfils its definition.
>>
Just keep repeating the phrase "I'm a gnostic of the old school" without explaining what that means in general or in specific relation to other kinds of gnosticism until you achieve acclaim on the literature section of an online image board for calling feminists stupid
>>
>>9163150
haha yeah and Congress legalized pharma cartels because "affordable" health care and run scare ads to block USA-made imported drugs from Canada because maybe they came by way of Iran because "muh national security."

Church was once a much symbiotic and powerful ally to the state. And the state always preserves itself from any upstart ideology that could upset the established order.

>>9163168
"As for the writings of Ouspensky and Gurdjieff, I know enough to satisfy me that I have no time for them. I seek real knowledge and therefore avoid all unverifiable speculation." -Jung
>>
>>9163225
why do you care what jung thinks?
>>
>>9163239
Not OP but Jung was literally a gnostic prophet.
>>
>>9163215
It was a widely accepted academic theory back in the 80's and 90's when everyone was sucking derrida's dick and pomo/deconstruction was super fashionable.

A lot has changed over the last 20 years, with the development of esoteric studies as a legitimate academic field. The same sort of thing is happening with gnosticism, and it's once again a usable category within academia.
>>
File: diefortheemperor.jpg (9KB, 225x224px) Image search: [Google]
diefortheemperor.jpg
9KB, 225x224px
>>9163239
>>9163258
This. He contributed a great deal to our modern understanding of Gnosticism as more than just an early Christian cult.

>>9162087
I'm not sure about any introductory works to Gnosticism.

Hoeller is a respected 20th century American scholar. The Gnostic Jung is an exegesis of Jung's Seven Sermons to the Dead through the eyes of a modern Gnostic. It's a good primer, but maybe not what you wanted. If you're more interested in a history of Gnosticism, Kurt Rudolph's Gnosis is comprehensive. And of course The Nag Hammadi Library are a huge collection of source material. Still not happy? Look for books about Cathars/Albigensians, and the modern Yazidi.
>>
>>9163290
Jungian Gnosticism is basically a late Christian cult though.
>>
>>9163290
Nah senpai, there are no cults. There is only the plenipotent Catholic Church and heretics.
>>
>>9163307
was to >>9163302

eating crackers, can't reply good
>>
What does /lit think of Eric Voegelin's thesis that the roots of modernity are not in the industrial revolution or the Enlightenment, but rather in the advent of Gnosticism?
>>
>>9163317
Elaborate?
>>
>>9163063
pope looks around.
attendance dropping off.
consults Chief Paedophile Apologist. "Wat do?"
make a list of the most popular schisms
declare jihad
wipe them from the face of the earth
slowly climb the rankings.
never reach #1, but, hey, we're #2, so we try harder.
>>
>>9163225
>I seek real knowledge and therefore avoid all unverifiable speculation." -Jung
that's rich coming from him
>>
Hans Jonas' book is the classic.
>>
File: whew.png (8KB, 238x211px) Image search: [Google]
whew.png
8KB, 238x211px
>>9163177
>being a tribalist to begin with
>>
>>9162087
Homestuck
>>
>>9162087
elaine pagels
valis, or any of the other better books by pkd (e,g, three stigmata, or ubik)
>>
phil k dick
>>
Idleness, introspection, small leaps of faith.
>>
>>9165209
everyone has a tribe including you, fedoraboi
>>
>>9165336
>>9165338
T H I S
H
I
S
>>
File: The_Exegesis_of_Philip_K_Dick.jpg (32KB, 398x600px) Image search: [Google]
The_Exegesis_of_Philip_K_Dick.jpg
32KB, 398x600px
>>9165835
Forgot pic
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.