[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So is this where I start for philosophy?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: 9780140455113.jpg (25KB, 260x400px) Image search: [Google]
9780140455113.jpg
25KB, 260x400px
>>
NO. Start with the trial of Socrates.
>>
Nnnnnnyyyeeeuuooooooo.
>>
Start wherever the fuck you want, retard, philosophy is not a precise science with a necessary body of fundamental knowledge.
Most of Plato is supremely boring.
>>
>>9160801
it's a good start. Book I will play the role of an introduction.
>>
Don't read philosophy. BE a philosopher.
>>
>>9160801
It's also where you end.
>>
>>9160801

maybe warm up with the hackett edition of five dialogues by plato.
>>
File: 13085417.jpg (53KB, 798x545px) Image search: [Google]
13085417.jpg
53KB, 798x545px
>book called Republic
>it's about building a totalitarian state
>>
>>9160801
>>9160825
Both of these are aggravating to read. I feel like most of Plato's writings are half re-written history and half fan-fic, as if Socrates actually said "Fuck this" when he was told to drink the hemlock and Plato couldn't cope with his idol's supposed "hypocrisy."

Although that's as likely to have happened as the things Plato actually wrote
>>
>>9160895
Plato wasn't even present at the trial.
He always obviously used Socrates as a purely literary character, it's possible that 100% of all dialogues is pure fiction
>>
File: socrates.gif (57KB, 216x287px) Image search: [Google]
socrates.gif
57KB, 216x287px
>>9160919
That actually makes a lot of sense, because...

Well, I mean, what if Socrates was so compelling a character because it was *ironic* to the Greeks that he would be discoursing on philosophy...

Maybe it was ironic and funny because...

Well, I mean, look at him.

Socrates had Down's Syndrome.

Plato was probably paying tribute to this colorful local character in the form of an ideal version of him in which he was not a retard but a brilliant philosopher, but the ideas that came out of his mouth were all Plato's.

It makes total sense now.
>>
>>9160919
He wasn't "present," in the sense that he didn't write himself into it? That gives his work a little more "objective" authority, don't you think?

It's true that they could be purely fictional, and it's certainly better to read them that way (i.e. for the texts themselves rather than to tease the historical significance out of them), I just think its funny to imagine Plato as a rampant buttranged autist who couldn't handle his teacher acting against precepts
>>
>>9160939
I sort of realized he was a fictional character after my first reading of any Plato. So many foils meant to be weak as dandelion in their philosophical arguments.
>>
>>9160939
DELETE THIS
>>
>>9160889
>republics can't be totalitarian
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.