[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi there! I want to get into making comics, but my i feel like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: suzy.jpg (2MB, 1935x1174px) Image search: [Google]
suzy.jpg
2MB, 1935x1174px
Hi there!
I want to get into making comics, but my i feel like my storytelling skills are rather weak.
Could you recommend me some resources where i can learn about character development, storytelling etc.?
>>
>>9157837
comics are for fat and ugly /r9k/-tier losers
>>
>>9157844
that's like saying movies are for retarded kiddos who are into shitty superhero stories
>>
>>9157837
SVA has a Narative program now, aimed at comic book authors, video game narative writers, and the like. I know the head, Nathan Fox. Cool guy, he's been doing comic books for quite some time. If you want to study somewhere, I highly recommend his program, as it won't just be drawing, it's a fully integrated art+narrative program.

But I think you should also really ask yourself if you want to be the story guy and the art guy. Most people don't do both, except in fringe cases, generally the more experimental or avant garde stuff.

As far as storytelling goes, anything you can find on writing novels should be applicable to other mediums. Same goes for screenwriting resources.
>>
99 ways to tell a story

It's essential

Periods are essential as well, though I don't use them.
>>
>>9157908
Thanks, i'm from europe so that school is not really an option for me. We make up our stories with a friend of mine by the way, and we manage to invent some pretty interesting stuff, but i feel like not really knowing the methods behind good storytelling holds us back.
>>
>>9157844
that's like saying books are for faggots and pretentious tumblr teenagers
>>
>>9157874
>movies = superhero stories
My hatred for americans is so great ISIS would be embarrassed
>>
s-sauce?
>>
>>9158079
It's by Jean Giraud aka Moebius
>>
>>9157837
I'm sorry.... what? How did we get from Panel A to B?

Have pages been torn out..?
>>
>>9157966
>comics are for fat and ugly /r9k/-tier losers
>books are for faggots and pretentious tumblr teenagers
both of these are correct
>>
>>9158711
But I don't have tumblr.
>>
>>9158420
it's not connected at all, its from a book which features random pieces of art from the artist
>>
For learning the craft and language of comics specifically, Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud is a standard. Brilliant analysis of comics storytelling.

>>9158000
It is as dumb as assuming all comics are. That is what you are doing.
>>
>>9157837
I've read a bunch of writing books and the best books I've found so far are:
The Anatomy of Story: 22 Steps by John Truby
Writing the Breakout Novel Workbook by Donald Maas
>>
>>9158997
yeah, that's a nice one i've read it before
>>
>I want to get into making comics, but my i feel like my storytelling skills are rather weak.

No one who reads comics cares about the story. The standard is really, really low, OP. Nobody gives a fuck.
>>
>>9158997
>Brilliant analysis
the entire time i read that i just kept thinking how much of a comic nerd he is and that he actually tried to make up a theory to defend comic books.
>>
Just read all the comics you can and learn from them, see what they do write, what they do wrong. You don't even have to think about it really, you'll learn it intuitively after enough.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.