[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /lit/ think of the Redwall series by Brian Jacques ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: redwall.jpg (195KB, 1200x771px) Image search: [Google]
redwall.jpg
195KB, 1200x771px
What does /lit/ think of the Redwall series by Brian Jacques ?
>>
/lit/ is fond of them because they were children's books that came out before Harry Potter so /lit/ feels like it's somehow more deserving of accolade.
>>
Are they worth the read ?
>>
>>9155266
Why didn't the abbeyfolk just exterminate the lesser races?
>>
>>9155524
too much of a hassle, they prefer to feast! also they need a malignant and ever present "other" so that their kids fall in line.
>>
>>9155266
Brian Jacques is awesome. He has written some of the best adventure books for children available in our times.

It's Watership Down meets King Arthur and His Noble Knights. Top shelf.

>>9155293
No.

Rowlings work is rooted in a level of fantasy which is more detached from the real world, and whose formula is like almost every Hollywood or YA adventure saga.

Jacques work is deeply connected to the flora and fauna of his native England in a way which brings nature to life for children. He uses such vivid imagery to describe the food and faire of his world that there are Redwall cookbooks and recipe sites. His dialogue is about 100x more animated than Rowlings, and the weaponry, tools, and way of life in the Redwall world carry an historic significance which is good for children to be exposed to.

It's just the way he writes - it is almost stoic-poetry.

Rowling is a great children's storyteller, and is very creative, but it is the structure of Jacques works which really sets him apart in my mind. He mirrors history - not cinema.

>>9155524
Because they are good Christians; not barbarians.
>>
>>9155524
Because ethnic cleansing really isn't fitting for a children's book
>>
>>9157083
Did anyone actually like the food descriptions as a kid? I never knew what most anything actually was- maybe it is easier if you are British. I still don't know what a tart is.
>>
>>9157738
Those were the best part imo. So comfy.
>>
>>9157738
As a rural british kid they were fantastic desu
>>
>>9157738
Yess, even now I remember them as one of the best reading memory of my childhood.
>>
>>9157738
I LOVED the food descriptions. I even learned how to make a few of the dishes when I was a kid.
>>
>>9157962
a-are y-you f-f-female
>>
My favorite YA series, and I started reading them after Harry Potter first came out. I felt connected to the world like no other
>>
>>9157738
Your mom's a tart.
>>
>>9155266
why would rats need a siege tower. Couldn't they just scurry up the walls?
>>
>>9157968
No. I'm a guy. Just a well rounded one.
>>
>>9158094
shhhhhhhh don't ruin it
>>
>>9157083
>He mirrors history - not cinema.
Yeah that's what I said. You think it's better simply because it's older.
>>
>>9155293
nah. I'm 25 and just read Redwall for the first time, while I physically cringed at some of the morality and dialogue I found it intensely gripping for a children's story. (even more than the hobbit. fight me.)
>>
File: urstripe.gif (42KB, 225x343px) Image search: [Google]
urstripe.gif
42KB, 225x343px
Badger master race reporting in
>>
>>9157111
But snapping a villians spine and leaving to drown in the tide is?
>>
>>9158687
To be fair, that was Brocktree, and Brocktree was a terrifying badger lord. He wasn't one of the abbeyfolk. Messy executions are about what you'd expect from a lord of Salamandastron.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.