[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this why he did it, /lit/? >Once during my undergrad semester

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: 26-dfw-2.nocrop.w529.h746.2x.jpg (205KB, 1058x1410px) Image search: [Google]
26-dfw-2.nocrop.w529.h746.2x.jpg
205KB, 1058x1410px
Is this why he did it, /lit/?

>Once during my undergrad semester I probably mistakenly smoked for the first time in a while, opened up Ulysses, and went through Telemachus to appreciate the language. For the short amount of time that I was able to harness my focus (3 or 4 pages), Buck Mulligan was a fat, confident Dopey from Snow White, climbing a wizard's tower like something out of Fantasia, and Stephen was his eternal servant lingering on the stairs, sort of a Grumio type, only more sulky and less funny. I found myself laughing aloud at Malachi's quips, whereas any time else I can only ver stand back and appreciate them for what they try to do.

>Also but then like a few moments later I had a panic attack whereat the peak I felt halfway between a great tragedian and a crackpot, either way destined to suffer. Everything played out like a movie before me, and since, mistakenly, I had smoked with two anxious-prone friends, the anxiety enveloped me and for a moment I thought I'd be trapped seeing life as a movie.

I checked out the first few pages myself and... "He pointed his finger in friendly jest and went over to the parapet."

>in friendly jest
>mfw

guys please help me
>>
>>9152062
>Also but then
I love DFW
>>
DFW smoked weed?
>>
>>9152190
ever read infinite jest?
>>
>>9152240
never heard of it. is it a comedy?
>>
did you just make this up? lol
>>
>in friendly jest

Not saying it couldn't also be a reference to this but Infinite Jest is from Shakespeare, Hamlet calls Yorick "a fellow of infinite jest". It is a pretty popular line, I have seen a few other authors play on it, one that comes to mind is Nabokov's inversion of the phrase in Lolita, Humbert describes someone as "a fellow of infinite melancholy".
>>
>>9152624
>....Who's there?
>I am....

Woah
>>
>>9152062
what are the top two quotes from?
>>
>>9152062
Wow, he was more retarded than most of you.
This thread is retarded as well, though.
Hang yourselves.
>>
File: 1486136300657.png (1MB, 1272x707px) Image search: [Google]
1486136300657.png
1MB, 1272x707px
>Also but then like a few moments later
>>
>>9152742
Disgusting whore.
>>
>>9152062
>tfw I'm genuinely more sophisticated than DFW

Too bad that my parents are not rich and accademically well connected.
>>
he killed himself because he knew he was a talentless junkie retard
>>
File: SFW.jpg (3KB, 135x90px) Image search: [Google]
SFW.jpg
3KB, 135x90px
>>9152638
plz respond
>>
File: Screenshot_20170222-202036.png (448KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170222-202036.png
448KB, 1440x2560px
>>9152761
Delete this.
>>
>>9152763
>>9152638
>>9152390
Guys I have a confession. What I quoted was something I wrote entirely myself and something that actually happened, but there's so much more to it and I knew it would only garner a "this isn't your diary," so I made it out to be a DFW quote for mostly a reaction, but also because I have a theory that Wallace commuted suicide because he always felt both hyper-anxious and pseudo-brilliant--the state of my mind when I get stoned. Either DFW felt like this naturally, or he was a stoner. Or I just got really stoned, and that's it. Either way, too much TV, man...
>>
David explained his suicide here:

https://youtu.be/pqmIAbHXr0Y
>>
>>9152917
this isn't your diary
>>
>>9152742
who is this?
>>
>>9154492
The true waifu of lit. Booktubers be damned, we're reclaiming SJWs.
>>
>>9152062
is that real?

dfw is such an embarrassing idiot
>>
dumbfuck wasn't Catholic. Twas his problem. Better off the world is without some fuck trying to pretend to understand Ulysses stoned. What a fool.
>>
>>9152917
Bless your heart, you fool. To understand "Stately Plump Buck Mulligan" you must first be an Irish Catholic, exposed to the Dark Jesuit Ways. If you are not, don't even worry about Joyce. Not worth your damn time! Go and read something more suitable to your likings and worry less about suicide. Benedicite!
>>
>>9154639
There is no Western Canon. There is only Literary Adaptation to the Particular.
>>
>>9152379
it's a sin
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.