[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

st johns

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: sjc.jpg (387KB, 1280x854px) Image search: [Google]
sjc.jpg
387KB, 1280x854px
anyone gone to st johns college undergrad? either campus, doesn't matter.

it looks pretty cool, got accepted, but can't visit for a while and after looking through the twitters of some of the students they look like fucking retards and i'm anxious about the quality of the discussions.

can anyone speak about this? are there any serious students there? i study probably 9 hours a day; languages, literature, starting some maths, but i'm not sure if sjc just has hippier college kids or if there are some serious students..

is it possible to fix up the quality of bad discussions? i consider myself a pretty straightforward and relatively assertive guy, so if someone has retarded thoughts i won't be hesitant to call them out on them.. will this help me make discussions better, so even if there are bad students, the discussions won't be all that bad?

help appreciated, can't find much on the school besides a few old threads; school is too small.
>>
>>9144811
Come on man, if you look at the twitters of students at any college/uni you will feel the same how you think that will affect the caliber of your education and in-class discussion is retarded.

I'm not how sure how you got into any university think the twitters of some students represent the school and her student body as a whole.

There's serious and not serious students at every school, how could you think there's a university attended by only 'not serious students' ?

That being said private Catholic universities are great, I always be happy I went to one and I hope it suits you well.
>>
Every university is what you make of it. If you get really lucky you'll have classes with students who care. But even Ivy League and other elite universities have shitloads of undergrads who don't give a fuck, or even worse, undergrads who think they give a fuck because they're precocious little brats but really they are stultifying mediocrities, not really intellectually passionate about anything.

Don't become a big fish in a small pond either.
>>
>>9144811

>studies 9 hours a day
>"calls out" "retarded thoughts"

You just sound autistic.
>>
You should be more worried about getting a degree in liberal arts.
>>
>>9145229
no. this guy just sounds like a serious student, who calls people out on bullshit or half-baked ideas. just sounds to me like a good person to have in scholarly conversations.

OP, to address your questions: I do not go to St. John's but I live in Santa Fe, NM where the college is and have run into some sjc people. They are very academic and very western-canon oriented. If you are into that, you will like it. As far as Santa Fe goes, it's a small (70,000 ppl) town. Boring as far as night life and cultural shit to do, but the mountains are gorgeous. I imagine if you have a cozy apartment and are focused on your academics, it would be a great place to spend your undergrad years. You can go on some really beautiful walks, and take road trips to escape the monotony of the town once in a while.
>>
>>9144811
Current SJC Annapolis campus student, just woke up from a cozy nap and am about to go work on my Greek, ask me anything.

Judging people by their Twitter means you are a fuckboy. Most of the good students don't sit around fingering themselves on Twitter so don't use that as a basis for judgement. Also if you have a bad discussion it's not because of another student it's because of you as well. These are communal undertakings. If you can't work with others don't come.
>>
>>9144811
>Going to undergrad
>Are these people not very serious?
You answered your own question there
>>
>>9146634
>>9146544

thanks for replys, yeah i know i'm a retard for judging people for their twitters, which is why i was asking if more academic types do actually attend.

i was only worried because if there are some bad students, it seems like they can negatively impact the discussions in a big way.

>>9145096
i was only worried because the school is pretty easy to get into, that's all. i understand that all universities have apathetic students.
>>
>>9146758
They won't negatively affect the discussion if you use a dialectic to understand them. If someone says something opinianted, whether you think it right or wrong, there must be some truth buried in it that drove them to say it. You should want to understand them and what motivates them to say dumb shit. Or dismantle the dumb shit.

Don't come into the school thinking you are the smartest person or the most well read because there are some super intelligent and sharp people here. Come open and ready to learn. You get what you put in here.
>>
>>9144811
If you're so serious about your studies why aren't you going to Harvard?
>>
>>9146801
>Idolizing a school because of a name and status

Oh son I'm so sorry...
>>
I kind of regret not going to St. John's. I feel I could have benefitted from firing the Western Cannon.

That said, it's probably expensive as fuck. Can you not read these books on your own, OP?
>>
I got in and considered going there, but decided to got a prestigious liberal arts college with a low acceptance rate instead
>>
>>9145096

St. Johns isn't a Catholic uni.
>>
>>9146801
>>9146816

I remember when I believed this in high school
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.