[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any thoughts on this book?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

File: steppenwolf.jpg (33KB, 275x449px) Image search: [Google]
steppenwolf.jpg
33KB, 275x449px
Any thoughts on this book?
>>
File: 1487795336734.jpg (9KB, 250x242px) Image search: [Google]
1487795336734.jpg
9KB, 250x242px
>>9143801
I'll give you my honest opinion:

The only reason I read this novel was because a dear friend of mine amiably suggested it to me, thinking that I would enjoy reading it; and being the kind soul that I am, I agreed.

Well, I was immediately put off by all the philosophical ramblings about mastering your own instinct, soul, and his contemplating of suicide and what it would mean to him.

The story itself was rather banal, and, at times, I had to force myself to read through parts.

The protagonist was also trite, as the intellectual recluse-type has been done so many times before. I also found hard to sympathize with him, considering that he was such a wretchedly timid man who complained like a woman. It got old fast.

In conclusion, I won't be reading any more works by Hesse.
>>
File: G0ZC4nr.jpg (81KB, 561x960px) Image search: [Google]
G0ZC4nr.jpg
81KB, 561x960px
>>9143829
>>
>>9143829
Yes, I doth agreest.

I must saith I foundeth the booketh to beeth pretentiouseth to the maximuseth degreeth. It iseth trulyeth noteth goodeth enougheth foreth sucheth intellectual souls as mineselfeth.
>>
Is this about a werewolf?
>>
File: 1472316398.contron_controlla.png (619KB, 1025x734px) Image search: [Google]
1472316398.contron_controlla.png
619KB, 1025x734px
>>9144024
I also would like to know about the werewolf content of this book.

Someone told me this was the barnes and noble classics cover art, but google image search yields nothing.
I suspect it may be edited after some fashion.
>>
This book isn't about werewolves, at least not literally. The main character feels as if he is part man and part wolf, but in a symbolic sense where the "wolf of the steppes" aspect is animalistic and reclusive
>>
>>9144046 >>9144024

This book isn't about werewolves, at least not literally. The main character feels as if he is part man and part wolf, but in a symbolic sense where the "wolf of the steppes" aspect is animalistic and reclusive
>>
It's literally pic related + pretentious pseudo-philosophical self help tier ramblings
>>
Read it, Anon. It's a good book, and it'll probably hit home if you're feeling down and lonely.

Don't trust /lit/. They're always switching back and forth on what Hesse book is the flavor of the month and which one is cool to shit on.

>Glass Bead Game is the best; Siddhartha is shit
Next month
>Siddhartha is the best; GBG bad
Next month
>Steppenwolf is best; Siddhartha worst
Next month
>Demian best; Steppenwolf is for losers

>inb4 implying 4chan is a collective conscious
There's way too many of you riding the Hesse bandwagons for this not to be a meme.
>>
>>9143801
I enjoyed it overall.
>>
>>9143829
Exactly this.
>>
>>9143801

Both great and frustratingly bad.

Features real moments of interest, however most of it redundant and repetitive rambling. I get what Hesse was trying to do, to make any sort of philosophical and physiological stance rather impossible because of the "truth" is unobtainable and too hard to grasp for someone so wrapped up in their own world, basically a slightly kafka-like ambivalence was trying to be achieved but it's the hard points are so tangled in spaghetti it falls flat.

The dream sequences were the best parts. The ending was extremely dogshit with almost zero payoff for anything.
>>
Glass Bead Game is pretty great.

Everything else is bleh tier - covers stuff other of his contemporaries do better. Steppenwolf is okay. Read Mann instead.
>>
I actually picked up a /lit/ student at a bar when I was in high school because I pretended I had read this, when in reality I had simply overheard two teachers discussing, it and accidentally memorised what they said.

Have any of you read it in German? Is the writing itself any better than in Unterm Rad? I remember I had to read for school at some point, and, quite honestly, found it rather unimpressive.
>>
>>9145600
I read it in German and i liked it a lot. The atmosphere was very good, the introduction was clever, the Philosophical thoughts were ok, if you dont compare them too much but the best thoughts he had are hidden in the prose. It is a great work if you can emoathize with the subjekt and the Charakters.
>>
>>9143939
Nice bulge
>>
>>9143801
Was good

Enjoyed Demian more

Also read Narcissus and Goldmund, which was also gut

Gonna read some more Hesse when i get the time

All good
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.